Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha vs Squirrel POS 2018 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjr2144

MIS
May 6, 2003
US
My Company is considering switching out Aloha for Squirrel.

I was hoping I could get your opinions and maybe what the Pro/Cons are in switching.

Anybody using Squirrel and how do you like it?

It's been a long time since I've logged into Tek-Tips as you may can tell.

I used to be #1 MVP on Tek-Tips support for Aloha when I supported it but don't have quite the issues now I'm supporting Squirrel.

I can give you an online demo on Squirrel if you like.

Thanks,
Coorsman

Cheers,
Coorsman

Coorsman you are still on top and its been a long time since you answered any questions. This has become the Micros tektips. 80% of the questions now are Micros related. I was wondering is Micros really that bad? Aloha questions seem to flow to the Reddit alohapos section. I would think Squirrel is either trouble free, great support or few users since questions are never posted here about it. I remember when Squirrel ran on OS2 Warp.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
reddit : rossabout

Hi AlohaRoss,
I remember the OS2 and Double DOD days. I worked for Squirrel in 1990 when the first flat screen touch screen was released. I'm working for a POS company Cabaret Systems in Charlotte NC. We are one of the largest Squirrel dealers in the country we also support Maitre'd and Focus POS. Most of the issues as with any PC based system is Windows and Windows updates. Squirrel uses Linux terminals so they rarely have problems with the operating system. Each one of our products has it's niche. Squirrel is great for fine dining, large venues with multiple restaurants and most changes can be made on any front of house terminal.

Focus POS is one of the most full featured, easiest to learn trouble free system I've ever seen in 30+ years.

Cheers,
Coorsman

All the the venues around where i am were running Squirrel 25 years ago or so. Now no one. Glad its still around though! Might have to see if they want a dealer here! Trying to time a phone call with my Oracle project manager for 3700 in India is annoying with a 12 hour time difference!

I have to agree with with you on Focus. Its even EMV ready, something Aloha dropped the ball on in a big way.
I saw a Focus demo years ago. the ability to program on the fly from front or back of house, and its graphics were superior to Aloha. At NRHA I meet the Arizona Focus dealers. Great family business.

NCR has done very little to make Aloha better in the time they took it over. I hope they are not letting it die the way REMANCO did.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
reddit : rossabout

I agree with you on Aloha and NCR. When I worked for an Aloha dealer almost 6 years ago, Aloha would add new features like the hand held, delivery, gift/loyalty etc.
They were all 3rd party products slapped on top of the Aloha and that made the look different from product to product. I also remember none of the reports between modules would balance, tax, labor and sales reports would be different depending on what module you printed it from. I think the last Version of Aloha I worked with was 6.7 and haven't seen anything new since then.

Cheers,
Coorsman

I thought Squirrel went out of business as well. Not seeing any in my area either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back