Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha upgrade BOH to win 10 pro questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffnLR

Technical User
Apr 8, 2012
US
Hey All, i need to upgrade from win7pro to win10pro on my BOH, and im being told i need to upgrade to 12.3 aloha also. Im told i am licensed to upgrade to 12.3 and my dealer will do it for $345.

IM curious if i can just use the windows media creation tool on BOH to do the upgrade to 10 pro? I am currently win7 pro 32 bit, and i read its ok to use 64bit with 12.3. So if i upgrade to win10pro 64bit im guessing it will break the FOH until i upgrade to 12.3 from 6.7?

I also have 3 p1520's running on the FOH with xp embedded. The other 6 pos terminals are windows 7 pro. Not sure if this info is important but i dont plan on updating the FOH to win10.

Am i destined for trouble here lol?

You cannot do an upgrade from a 32bit version of Windows (any flavor) to a 64 bit version. Going to a 64 bit version requires a clean install and then reinstall of all applications. If you are into a CLEAN install ignore the following 32bit rant:)

You CAN upgrade to a 32 bit version of Windows 10. The 32 bit versions monthly update files are about 50% smaller, updates install more quickly and you have a lesser chance of getting into update failure hell.

disclosure: although I was running Aloha at 3 stores I am currently running another POS at those stores. I only run aloha at one location and it is on all new equipment & 64bit Windows. I do run over 25 computers in my organization and my 32 bit Win machines are 10 point of sale terminals (win7 and Win10 LTSB) and 2 BOH machines. They all ran Aloha 6.7 3 years ago but run the latest version of onePOS now.

If you are somewhat PCI/DSS compliant (win 7 sundowns in January, xp embedded :) ?) and not using your Aloha BOH for anything but Aloha purposes a 32 bit version will work FINE for you (unless NCR/Radiant is forcing people to 64 bit) I am kind of out of the Aloha loop now except for the 1 store and my reseller handles almost everything there (10pro on BOH YUUCK. Unless you have more than 4GB ram on that computer 64 bit is not necessary to access most of your ram. 32 bit systems I run with 4GB of Ram usually have between 3.4 and 3.6 GB available, most terminals still only have 2GB anyway.

I am sure it is true that 32bit operating systems WILL go away sometime in the future, but they are still around for now and I would put off going to 64 bit in your situation, When you get a new computer, then you could go 64 bit and bite the bullet on clean install.
There will be some piece of new hardware, printer, scanner etc that comes along some day that will not have 32 bit drivers. As long as you are not out buying every new device you see you should be good for a while.

By the way Win 10 Pro is a terrible operating system for a restaurant. Forced "feature" updates every 6 months, flashy Windows store apps popping into place (GAMES ON MY BOH COMPUTER.... Microsoft, "get a clue!") A long way from a stable software install that you can forget about for 10 years. 4 New POS terminals I bought 3 years ago all came with Enterprise LTSB... much better.

If there is any way you can get an Enterprise version or better yet LTSC (Enterprise Long Term Servicing Core) you will be much happier. (Unless you plan on running apps from the Windows Store which I have NEVER found necessary in ANY of my stores) There are even work arounds to run windows store on LTSC but they are for computer Mavericks.

I have 4 stores
2 are running Win7.1 on BOH and 6.7x Aloha
1 is running Win7.1 and 12.1
and 1 is already running Win 10
Does anyone have any experience doing an inplace upgrade to Windows 10?

Best advice for in store replacement. Put FOH in redundancy, then work on BOH freely. At end of day, pull out of redundancy. I have done over 100 upgrades, all done remotely. Its very easy to do.

I have been putting in WIn10 pro for a while. There are a few small issues that pop up, such as windows doing updates in middle of shift. This can now be scheduled for off hours. Lana numbers being reset, this can be addressed on Environmental variables, Set NBlana = 0

Over all running 6.7 and higher in Win10 pro, I have had 0 failures.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
We answer when they don't
reddit : rossabout

Thanks for the replies guys!! I am going to try and update my BOH win7pro 32bit to win10pro 32 bit tonight.. I have my win10 key and i believe im going to use the "windows media creation tool" to do the upgrade.. Thanks for the heads up on the Lana reset! ANy other advice before i start this?

Thanks again for the help!

How did your upgrade go? Any issues or things you discovered.

AlohaRoss

ive had a few.. first had to find "execute disable" setting in bios for my chip to be supported. Once i figured that out the install made it to 90% then it reverted back to windows 7 with error code 0xC1900101 0x4000D (migration error).. after much reading i have uninstalled any programs i dont need and removed the aloha dongle and removed the extra NIC from the pci slot.. Im at 30% of the retry install right now.. fingers crossed

failed again at 86% with same error code.. little scarier this time as it had a win10 blue screen error (maybe i missed it the first time) I have about 2 hours to get this computer back to the store before the end of day process begins.. Do you have any idea what i might need to try? Sunday is the only day we are closed at this location so i may wait a week to try again unless you think its a quick fix. This is a older pc, its a dell optiplex 755 with a core2duo e4600 cpu

Get a new Win 10 pc, Reinstall Aloha. Copy the Dated folders. Its the only way I would ever do it. Contact me if you need help reinstalling Aloha.

AlohaRoss

I just bought a win10pro license.. I know i can grab a win10 home pc at bestbuy but i think they only have home version installs. And would i need to stay with 32bit when using aloha 6.7? Could i possibly buy a home install and put pro32 bit on it with the license i purchased?

Or there is plenty of win10pro64bit on newegg refurbished for pretty cheap..

Sorry for all the questions and thanks!

Thanks for the help! I have a i-5 win10pro64bit on the way possibly in time for me to try this again on sunday. I do understand how to change the lana in win10 and copy all my dated folders over. Do I also need the DATA folder and BMP folders? Also i have never installed EDC and the last time i installed aloha on BOH was years ago. I may have the install file on one of my BOH pc's but it is definitely an outdated version. I am currently running 6.7.70 table service and EDC version 14.1.20 Im pretty sure i can setup the processor information inside EDC by copying over the information from the old install, but thats all ive ever done with EDC. My alohas are licensed up to version 12.3 and i want to say my dealer said they will upgrade me for free whenever i want, but i could be wrong.

Can i get the install files for aloha and edc from NCR? Or its possible my dealer will give me the files.. i will ask.

Thanks again for your time and help Ross!

PS I might be interested in your emv chip card info.. I have been debating for years on just going to little standalone chip readers when faced with the cost from my aloha reps..

I have all the files you will need to install and even upgrade to 12.3. Its very easy. FOH may need some updates as well before you can upgrade to 12.3

AlohaRoss

Sounds great! Just let me know what i need to do.. Hopefully i will get the pc friday and i can start moving over files, configure the lana, setup aloha user & sharing, etc..

reach out to me through reddit and I will get you the files you need

AlohaRoss

Hey Ross, im new to reddit but i think i sent you a message..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back