Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha terminal looping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancruzhurtado

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2010
US
Hello everyone!
I have a problem with one of the two terminals in a restaurant.
Whenever we make a change on the system (like changing the price of an item) and the terminals get automatically rebooted, terminal 1 starts correctly, but terminal 2 enters a loop.
When Aloha reads "looking for file server", the computer reboots itselft.
This happens numerous times, until it eventually starts correctly.

Any idea why this might happen?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Juan

Usually a networking (wiring type issue) especially if it comes up by itself
or
networking (sharing permissions) network setup issue if it comes up when another terminal becomes master and you have a mix of 98 and 2K and XP machines.

Cheers,
Coorsman

check the sharing permissions and user logins of your terminals and your boh server.

Hello again Guys!
I am still having this weird problem.
I checked what you recommended, but everything seems to be ok.
I know this sounds weird, but sometimes what i have to do is completely unplug it for a few seconds, and then it seems to work.

Any other recomendations you can think of?

Thank you so much,

Juan

Might want to try editing the hosts file under windows/system32/drivers/etc and enter all terminals and server IP address and name...

example
172.0.0.1 alohaboh
127.0.0.2 term1
127.0.0.3 term2

Edit the host file for all terminals and server then reboot all..

Worked for me once with this type of issue

Jjr2144 you are my hero!!

Thank you so much!!

I cannot believe the solution was so simple

You learned something wrong...
This is not a good idea. (Well, not a good long-term idea. If it gets you going while you figure out the root cause, then I'm all for it.)

Hosts files only mask an issue by "forcing" the DNS, or really, bypassing DNS.
The next time someone has to troubleshoot, they will go crazy trying to figure out the networking issues unless they know this file is there and what it is doing.

The better approach is to repair the DNS issue on your network to fix root cause and not simply cover it up.

Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back