Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha switches to modem, and won't go back to DSL till reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedbartender

Technical User
Nov 25, 2011
US
Hello All,

I may have posted this here before, but got a new laptop, so clueless. In a nutshell:

*Am a ex-programmer and techie

*Our aloha system once in a while can't connect to our CC processor via DSL so it switches to modem

*It won't go back to DSL till a reboot, or EOD, which I haven't been there, but I believe is very similar to a reboot

*If the above happens to early in the day, eventually the modem itself fails too, till the reboot.

*Not being the owner, nor management, they are giving me very limited access to the system, but still don't mind me trying to fix this.

*My very limited hypothesis is that our DSL hiccups, and hence this chain of events just occur

So my question is...Is there some setting in some config file that can toggle this? Or is this just something that can't be looked at/toggled, etc?

Many thanks,

Sergio

You need to set the SSL retry in your EDC options. By default it is set to 0 so it will stay on dial up until you Start/Stop POS Processing, restart the EDCSvr, or reboot the PC. We usually would set it to 3.

Thanks for the reply.

If I may ask a follow up:

If set to 1 or more, does that mean after a few times of having to use the modem, will it still (and always) retry the Internet?

Any idea why after awhile the modem starts to fail as well?

Thanks again

What version of aloha are you on, there are many bugs and one of them in the earlier versions are EDC problems.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Why the modem fails is hard to say. Is error failed to initialize or no dialtone??

SSL Retry is the number of times EDC will use the modem before retrying the internet connection. I would not set it to 1 as that would not give much time for your internet issue to be corrected if the place is busy.

If you are on an older version SSL retry may not be available from the GUI. If not let us know as there is a variable for this that can manually be put into the ini file.

Thanks. Am not sure of the version, nor do I have access to all the manuals.

Anyone know if manually changing it in the ini file is dangerous? Or is this something that should only be changed in the GUI?

If via GUI, any idea of the module name to change it?

Again, sorry to be so vague, I have very little access to the main server, and manuals, etc. Just the way that place operates.

Tanks

the Aloha version can be seen on the FOH terminal as the logo bounces. The INI can be edited w/o problems but that wouldn't provide any soultion. The dobput.edc is a log file. It is in the \aloha\tmp folder. If all is runnung ok, rename it and when the problem arises again loog at the debout.edc file for problems. Post the problem area here. We can diagnose the problems easier. Also check your computer's event log files for system or application errors around the same time as the edc crashes.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back