Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha: Setting up backup credit card transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssidhu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2007
US
I process credit card orders though high speed internet, but sometimes the internet connection goes down and the orders start spooling; I'd like to set up the software to revert to a modem for CC authorizations.

I was hoping you guys could reccomend a good, compatible modem (external or internal is fine); or tell me if I can just use any modem.

Also, what steps do I take to setup Aloha to revert to the modem when no internet access is present?

Thanks

I like the KISS principle. You can use a standard US Robotics external modem. Simply putting in the phone numbers that you use for auth/settle under the dialing link will cause the modem to kick in if highspeed is down.

I agree with posknowitall. Always use an external modem so you do not have to shut down the computer to reset the modem. Also select OPTIONS under CONFIGURE and set "Retry SSL every 1 times" otherwise Aloha EDC will not automatically try the internet after rolling over to dial-up.

I bought an external serial modem and am trying to set it up. What type of modem should I set it up as? Also, what should the baud rates be set-up to?

The setup depends on the modem. There are very few modems that work well with Aloha. The most stable is probably the USRobotics 33.6 external, serial modem. The 56 works as well and is more readily available. If you are on version 5.2 or newer of Aloha EDC you can set the modem type to USR 28.8 and the init string EDC assigns should work fine. If you are on an older version and using a 56K USR you will need to manually set the init string on the "dialing" screen of the processor setup. Let me know if you need an init string for that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back