Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I work as a PC/network tech for one company, however the owner is a major partner in a golf course restatraunt. They use Aloha Table Service as the POS.

Problem is previous wait staff probably used sharp objects on the touch screens, and now trying to touch exit or OK from the employee ID screen is difficult. I looked at the touch screen and thought an easy fix would be to move the screen a bit, thereby using a different area of the screen (different touch cells) for the problem buttons (and of course ensuring the sharp objects are no longer used on the screens.)

I took a quick look through the file server, but didn't see files that look like a screen image. Does anybody know if the screen, particulary the employee ID screen, can be changed?

I have designed/programed touchscreens for the warehouse, wish I could use the same software...

Thanks,

Jeff

That screen is hardcoded somewhere and I don't know how to manipulate it. But what you can do for a patch is resize the screen on the monitor itself and recalibrate it so now the exit button is lower than the damaged area. We have sold customers new ones because of that reason. Another thing to consider is using the floor plan part of Aloha. Then you can put buttons anywhere on the screen.

Also there is a configuration file in the data and newdata folders called Mm. It has display options in it but I have not been able to figure out how to move the exit button, but this may help you.

That's hard-coded. It cannot be changed except by Iberetch/Aloha/Radiant and I have never known them to honor such a request. This "dead spot" situation is not uncommon in B-grade resistive touch screens, and switching to capacitive ones probably will cost more than replacing the touch head. Quick, temporary fixes involving VNC and a mouse can be forced to work, as the signal would be straight-on w/o pressure at all but it's a cumbersome solution that should only be used as a last resort. Who's the manufacturer of the touch screen/terminal?

The only way to fix this problem is to replace the touch screen. A quick fix for the servers in the restaurant is to use two fingers on either side of the done or exit buttons. This will usually trick the screen into thinking that button was actually pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back