Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Rookie problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancruzhurtado

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2010
US
Hey guys,

I am having a rookie problem today.
One of our terminals died. Got a used one off the internet and I am trying to connect it.

For the life in me, I cannot make ALOHABOH (or any other computer) access it via the network.
I have tried EVERYTHING!

Is there some weird setting that aloha systems "touch" in Windows XP that blocks connections?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Juan

I forgot to mention.
I do see the computer on the network, but when I try to access it, I get an error instantly. I does not even ask me for a username and password.

Juan

Any update on the errors or solution?
I have some theories but I'll want to see what Ross has to say.

Not yet.
I didn't really touch it after I sent the post.
I was hoping for some magical solution.

It must be something about how aloha connects with Terminals that I don't know.

I can access other computers on the network from the terminal, but not aloha terminals or the alohaboh.
From the alohaboh I can ping the computer and I get a reply, and I see it on the network. When I try to access it, without even asking for username and password, shows me an error saying "You might not have permission to....blah blah blah".
There is no firewall on the terminal, I am using "Simple File Sharing"...

I tried to reset the local security policy using "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose" but it does not find the repair folder.
I also checked the saved network passwords on the alohaboh but there is nothing there.

So.....HELP!

They are all (term1, term2, alohaboh) in WORKGROUP workgroup

Can reach the boh from the term?

What is the admin account on the new term?

When I try to reach the boh it requests a username and password.

The admin account of the terminal is aloha

Juan, there is an account setting on both foh and boh that needs to be changed. What you are describing is where foh user is using a stored network password for boh but the local account on foh does not match boh. Simple thing to do is A. Run ral and have it fix everything for you. B. create new user/password for both foh and boh. add to all terms. then change foh to use that log in on all terms. Change edcsvr to use same user/pw to get out of spooling. Looking forward to your call. Once you get me on toll free number I can give you direct cell number.

Disable Simple File sharing

AlohaRoss
3rd Party support

Are you using ral?
You'll need to add an aloha admin account to the boh that has the same password as the term. If it's still the default it'll be Hello

Edit: Looks like Ross beat me to the punch. Ral is your best bet, it'll get everything setup correctly for you.

You might be overthinking this. If the broken terminal and the replacement are the same make/model, or if they're even somewhat close, you could just pull the hard drive or uDoc from the bad one (if the hard drive or uDoc isn't what broke the old one), plop it in the new one, and you're done. It'll have all the accounts, passwords, sharing, etc. still in place. Might need a reboot or two to get the new hardware straightened out, but it would be way faster than tracking down whatever's keeping the new one from working.

J

You must enable the firewall on the term to activate the File Sharing and try to connect to Alohaboh. Also add the Everyone user to the Security Options on Bootdrv. Once it done, you must reboot the term and then disable the firewall.

AlohaRoss,

How can I reach you if I am out of the country? The 844 number doesn't work from outside the us

Thanks,

Juan

try again. i get calls on it daily. its a grasshopper number. it always finds me. besides my cell is still Los Angeles number. Cant post number here, but you can from contact through reddit (rossabout)

AlohaRoss
3rd Party support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back