Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha RDF Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

balloon172

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2009
US
Good afternoon.

I have a site with 10 terminals that has been running for several years. They had a total power failure, which appeared to cause a corrupt trans.log. I was able to fix the trans.log using grind, but have been unable to take the site out of redundancy. The site is using RDF; BOH is Win10 Pro, FOH terminals are all POSReady 7.

The error message logging in the master terminal debout appears to show a permissions issue, but I've been through all the permissions and nothing has changed. I am able to read and write both directions FOH<>BOH. Our dealer has has been working on this for the last couple of days, without success.

Any ideas? Thanks!

bt

From your logs it appears it does not like the badtrans.log file. remove it from data and see if you get better success.
Also check your share sessions, make sure it did not max out with ghost connections.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
reddit : rossabout

I may have sent an old screenshot (sorry, lots of them going around...) I deleted BADTRANS.LOG as part of my troubleshooting yesterday. The correct screenshot is attached.

If you're talking about compmgmt.msc/Shared Folders/Sessions, the only one I see in there is me (I'm connected remotely.) Should I be looking for something else?

Thanks!

bt

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=976e25b8-c5a7-497a-bfa7-3f27d028867d&file=Error_LC5_20180710a.PNG
Check if RFS is installed as a service on BOH, it does not need to be running
Yes, that is the area I was referring to for sessions
Other area to check.
user accounts, make sure none are marked on BOH as locked.
If I had eyes on it, I could offer more suggestions

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
reddit : rossabout

Yes, the RFS service is registered. There are no user accounts marked as locked. I'm stumped - I went through the "Fileserver Recovery doesn't work" FAQ, and it all looks good.

If our dealer is unable to resolve, I'll bring you in.

Thanks!

bt

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=976e25b8-c5a7-497a-bfa7-3f27d028867d&file=Error_LC5_20180710a.PNG
I would try this before the site is opened.

delete downtime.ini and restart the terminals one at a time with Term1 being first and see if it picks up the server. If it does you can bring up the rest of the terminals. Also have you done a reboot on the server boh?

Thanks. I had tried all the above prior to involving my dealer. Their assessment - "We have tried everything we know to do; the next step is to upgrade to 12.3.x. Version 6.7.x is not compatible with Windows 10." So I'm going to upgrade - despite the fact that I have several other sites running Win10 and 6.7.x (same versions...) I don't hold out a lot of hope that this is a resolution to the problem, but until I do it, I won't know...

Other things they/I have tried:
Set each terminal up with it's own unique admin user; make sure all users are on all terminals as well as BOH.
Set up each service (CTL, EDC, and RFS) with it's own unique admin user; make sure all users are on all terminals as well as BOH.
Make sure all the above users are assigned to the admin group only (not users and admin).
Reboot
Unreg/reregister all services.
etc. ...

To me this all seemed to be busy work, as it did nothing to resolve my problem. Here's hoping that the upgrade works...

Thanks!

bt

...and, as I thought, the upgrade did nothing to resolve the issue at this site, which remains that I am unable to pull it from redundancy. Two weeks in redundancy now, and I'm beginning to get concerned. I guess my next step is to go to the site and reinstall from the ground up. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

bt

Ross (and all) -

I agree - this should not be this difficult. However, in the dealer's defense, they were finally able to get us out of redundancy this morning, after my last post. Their resolution - Aloha 6.7.x is not compatible with Windows 10. The upgrade to 12.3.x did not initially work because standalone RFS service was still registered on the BOH; they tell me RFS is included in CtlSvr in versions 12.x and higher. Once it was unregistered, FOH picked up. I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been documented before now, but... I suppose now it is!

Thanks for the input!

bt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back