Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Radiant printer RJ45 to RJ11 adapter source/pinout 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaky

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2012
US
I have been maintaining the Aloha POS systems for a restaurant. Recently one of the RJ45 to RJ11 adapters for one of their radiant printers has stopped functioning. I searched for some suppliers for the part, hoping to grab a replacement and a few extras but was surprised by the costs (quoted around $80 pc.) Considering this cost am I right to assume that this adapter is non-standard and proprietary? A simple RJ45 to RJ11 for combined network and voice data wouldn't work?

Could anyone suggest a source for this part or the pinout for this adapter?

I have found the pinouts for most of the other necessary adapters for the aloha systems and radiant printers on this terrific forum, but this RJ45 to RJ11 eludes me.

Thanks in advance.

Most of them are non-standard. Is the printer attached to a Radiant terminal and what model Radiant printer are you working with? Here are some docs in regards to the pinouts, including Radiant terminals. If you're using a Radiant terminal or standard PC you should be able to make your own pinout, haven't seen anything yet that couldn't be duplicated. Unfortunately making pinouts is not my forte.

I don't have the stations in front of me but they should be standard radiant terminals, though the plug layout is a bit different than indicated in this set of manuals. The printer/cable guide indicates the setup I need is for the "Remote Printer / P15xx and P1220" type. The pinout diagram for the RS-232 ports in the manual should be what I need but to be honest pinouts are not my forte either, I usually get away without having to do any custom crimping. This should be a 'fun' challenge.

I can't thank you enough for your help Dauphin2.

I have a supplier for RJ45-DB25 printer adapter(male connector) attaches to printer rs232? serial port adapter.
Alos same supplier sells us the Radiant 1500/1220 RJ11 to RJ45 (dongle) connects to terminal serial port.

If this is wht you are looking for send me a message, they sell it way below your quoted price.

Tsl, I managed to wire something up this time, but in the future I could certainly use a supplier. I cannot figure out how to send a private message on this forum though.

Is there any way I can get a look at those docs I am having the same problem? Thanks

Scott, the documents still work from the link dauphin posted (Link). I ended up having to use one of the adapters present at the restaurant as a model though since the pinouts were a bit different than listed.

RJ45 to DB25 Male attaches to the back of the Epson TM series receipt printer

RJ45 to DB9 Female attaches to the Radiant P1510 series POS terminals

DB-25 PINS

2 Orange
3 Black
7 Green

DB-9 PINS

2 Orange
3 Black
5 Green

Connect the two adapters using any standard ethernet networking cable.

If you're using a Radiant P1220 series POS terminal, you can use the same DB25 adapter and pinouts above for the back of the printer, then use some CAT5 network cable, an RJ45 modular connector (jack), and RJ25 (6 pin, 6 contact) modular connector (jack), and a network crimping tool to make a cable from the DB25 adapter to the 6-pin RJ25 serial ports on the Radiant P1220.

1 Orange/White
2 Blue
3 Green/White
4 Orange
5 Blue/White
6 Brown

RJ45 End

1 Orange/White
2 Orange
3 Green/White
4 Blue
5 Blue/White
6 Green
7 Brown/White
8 Brown

I noticed people in this thread are calling the connection an RJ11. It's nitpicking, but technically it would be RJ25.

Wikipedia

RJ11 = 6 position, 2 conductor
RJ14 = 6 position, 4 conductor
RJ25 = 6 position, 6 conductor

Since the P1220 printer cable has 6 conductors, (even though only 3 are actually used) .. I prefer to call it RJ25. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that may be caused by my previous post

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed Biggby. Like I said I managed, but glad to have this for next time. According to specs though, I think you mean rj12.

When i click on the link, mediafire says i need a password to download the file. Does anybody know this password?

With regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back