Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha printer not printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quest4Knowledge

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2012
US
I cannot seem to get the printer to print or be seen by my ne radient POS. Its an epson t88. I have it connected via rs-232 cable into either com 1 or 2.
Are there more than one type of rs-232 cables and thats why?
Are there settings in windows on the POS that I have to set?
Am I missing the drivers for it or does aloha already have them in it aside from windows?

I have all the settings in Aloha BOH right. I compaired them to Term1 that is using the same printer only on com 3. and it all matches up!!!!

Any suggestions???

If it's an Epson connected with rs-232 cables, it should be setup in Aloha Manager as a TM80 printer connected to a com port or you could do it as Epson OPOS. I think you could also set this up using Epson Advance printer drivers (Windows). Setting it up as a TM80 is probably the easiest way to do it. If you set it up this way you do not need to worry about any additional drivers. There a 2 banks of dip switches located underneath the printer. For TM80 setup, bank 1 should be set like this 1 - Off, 2 - On, 3 - On, 4 - Off, 5 - On, 6 - On, 7 - On, 8 - Off. On bank 2 all switches should be off. Yes, the pinouts for Rs-232 cables can be different. I would try this printer on com3, swapping out the currently working printer to see if it works in that location.

Alright,
My situation has changed.
I figured out my problem.
My rs232 cables are custom made out of an Ethernet cable and capped with the smaller 9 pin male serial connection. It's the type where u feed the ethernet able in and set ur pins then screw the connector together *link to pic*(The 20 pin connector is set up the exact same way. So I have no idea what pins they used without pulling the connectors apart. All my printers will print from every POS as long as I'm using the custom made rs232 cable. If however I swap out the custom cable for a store bought serial rs232 cable they will not work on any POS.
I compared my dsw switch settings and all my printers are just as u suggested except for switch 2. Mine are set to off.
Is there a way to set my switch settings to make my standard rs232 serial cables compliant with my radient POS's?

Don't worry about the dip switches if they match, won't make a difference in wiring. I have a diagram for the wiring, but in all honesty I find it easier to pop open the pinouts and just copy the pin layout. You can pry out the metal ends off and put them back together when you're done. Just get a bag of pinouts from a place like Radio Shack and make yourself some customer pinout adapters that match the current ones used at the site.

Obviously the Radiant terminal must have standard RS232 Com ports (9 pin, male) If you are using a manufactured cable it must be a "Null Modem Cable". Also a "Laplink" cable will work but I would not mess with that. A standard modem cable will not work.

I you are wnating to connect to the computer using the adaper pictured in your link there are very specific connection requirements. I would just copy the pinouts from adapters already on your system. There a hundreds of potential combinations but it's best if all are identical so you adapters are interchangable.

ALL IS GOOD!!!!
Made 3 cables with 25 pin to 9 pin connection. I used the following pin outs;
25 pin(2,3,7 and 20)
9 pin (2,3,5 and 8)
With this Pin out mapping;
2~2
3~3
7~5
20~8
Pin outs 20 and 8 are both grounds, and I found out by accidental error that the printers will print with out them connected, safe though, I haven't the slightest idea, I wouldn't risk ur pos on it though!!!!!
Thanx for all the help every one!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back