Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Potential employee theft scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzledinin

Technical User
Oct 13, 2019
US
We have a bar that is open until 3 am. We've had multiple occasions where after midnight Aloha is showing zero sales rung in, yet staff is not clocking out until 4 or 5 am. However, they're still processing charges. What is happening? We feel it's theft but I don't know how to prove it. Is there a way to find it in Aloha? Thank you!

I don't even know what Aloha is (besides a Hawaiian greeting), but you could go to the basics...
[ul]
[li]Get a security camera and compare physical actions to receipts in the system. (I'm kind of surprised if you don't have that available already.)[/li]
[li]Have someone come in undercover (unknown to the servers) and order some very specific things, pay with cash, and demand a receipt. See if that charge comes through.[/li]
[li]Does it correspond to just one (or two) people on the schedule? If it only happens when "Joe Pockets" is working, you might keep a closer eye on him.[/li]
[/ul]

Assuming your people aren't stealing...
[ul]
[li]Does Aloha have any kind of error logging. Maybe something is wrong that kicks in when the clock rolls over at midnight.[/li]
[li]Go do a charge yourself at about 2am. See if it goes through. Maybe it gets queued for the next day due to the credit card company doing nightly maintenance or something (just guessing).[/li]
[li]Do you have an employee coming on at midnight that maybe needs some training? Maybe he's just doing it wrong.[/li]
[/ul]

You mention that it has happened on "multiple occasions". Does that mean sometimes it doesn't happen, and you do see charges? Or is it pretty consistent?

Final thought, if you have someone named "Tammy S." working that late shift, it's her. No question about it. I used to date her and she's really crooked. [banghead]

Likewise, I cannot imagine how you wouldn't have video surveillance to verify business activity.

I also cannot imagine why you'd sign up for an account in this general security forum, instead of contacting the support system you're already paying for via Aloha service contracts. You're certainly welcome here...it just seems like an odd location to ask.

Thank you SamBones for your reply. Aloha is a widely used POS system in the restaurant industry. I posted on the weekend because I did not want to pay overtime for tech support. This site came up when I was searching for information and there was help here so I posted. Apparently I’m in the wrong place so my apologies.

We don’t have cameras. Know we should. My question was specifically regarding reporting and not cameras. Turns out you were correct, our daily reports print in such a way that led to the confusion. Our company has now straightened it out. Thank you for help! Peace ✌️

Don't apologize, there's no need. I believe everyone here loves answering questions and trying to solve people's problems, no matter what the domain. I'm glad you found the source of confusion.

Oh, and get some cameras. [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back