Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha POS: Update EMP.DBF File without FOH Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatUser4444

Technical User
Jan 9, 2020
US
I'm looking for a way to have the EMP.DBF file update without refreshing the POS system and bringing down the FOH terminals.

We have a third party software that sends Employee information from Aloha to our labor management system. The software reads the EMP.DBF file to look for any changes made to that file. It typically does this automatically each morning after EOD has been run. By then, the system has refreshed overnight and the EMP.DBF file is updated with the new employee records. The software runs and sends the employees to our labor management system.

The problem occurs when we want to run this software immediately after adding a new employee into Aloha to get them over to our labor management system. Oftentimes, new hires are added into Aloha during business hours and we can’t afford to always be refreshing the FOH system just to get the EMP.DBF file updated and transfer these new employees to our labor management system.

Is there a way to refresh this data in the DBF file without restarting the entire FOH system? I know there is a “Live Fresh” utility, but that feature in Aloha is not available on our current POS version.

Our Aloha POS is on version 12.3.xx

Good afternoon.

I saw mention in the forum of a program called lanachange. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear in either a search of the forum, or of the internet. Does such a beast exist?

I tried going to Ross's site (he is the one that talked about it), but the site appears to be down...

Thanks!

bt

The live refresh still brings them down, albeit quicker (logs off and back on) but it still brings it down for a good minute or 2.

Is the issue that you need the employees to be able to use the POS right away after entering in BOH? Or is there an agent on the BOH that reads the emp.dbf?

If so if you do a 'half' refresh it should be enough... go to refresh but choose to prompt before rebooting terminals. And simply choose not to reboot (cancel at that time)

This was a way to get MGR Job Codes to EDC with out full refresh, so it may do what you want as well.

What LMS are you using BTW?

ThatUser4444 - change your software to read the emp.dbf in the Newdata directory? That will reflect all real time changes.

There is a software that reads the emp.dbf. Is there any harm in doing a "half" refresh like you mentioned @FoeJilip?

If a half refresh was done at 5pm, for example, and the FOH terminals were not restarted until the automatic end of night refresh, would that be an issue?

No it shouldn't effect anything. Worse case it doesn't do what you want it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back