Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha pos, reseller trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

getmixxed

Technical User
Jun 10, 2011
US
Hello all,
I am having a bit of trouble with my reseller and just wanted to see if it was me causing the trouble.

I inherited an aloha POS system (6.4, 2 terminal w/ printers)
I have spoken with my reseller several times and every time a new $1,000 cost pops up, and before i go with them i need your opinion to see if the prices are realistic.

1 year service contract (call only) $800 (required)
Transfer of license + add 1 terminal $1,000 (i have the terminal)
EDC setup $300
Ecard setup $250 + $50 Monthly
Efrequency Setup $250 + $50 Monthly
Warranty on terminals (Have not received quote yet (3 weeks))

Is this in the ballpark?

Thanking you in advance for your valued opinion.

While I never like when dealers require it, $800 for a phone support contract is really not that bad, as long as they'll dial in to fix software issues too. If you're new to Aloha, you'll probably want it.

$1000 bucks to add a terminal license and transfer the software is pretty reasonable as well. A lot of dealers would charge you $800-$1000 just for the additional license.

I can't speak to the eCard and eFrequency setup fees, but the EDC one sounds pretty high, especially since you are purchasing all this other stuff. If there is no hardware or software needed and all they are doing is changing processors, that's a little high.
(Which makes me think the setup fees on the other stuff are high too)

Thanks Alohaakamai,

it sounded it little high to me too, i am a php programmer (7 years) and have been all the way through the Aloha BOH, my reseller had locked out most of the features like "Delete", and i just found out that they are the only ones who can program or touch the system.

I am just worried the price will just keep going up and up.

I suggest you start looking at other pos options if you are already upset with RADIANT. I can assure you, it will only go down hill from here. The only thing that they care about is their stock. Aloha was a great product until RADIANT bought it. They will nickel and dime you to death. Find someone with open architecture in case you don't like the software. Just my 2 cents

Thanks restguy,
You know i have been programming php / mysql / js websites for years, and i think they saw the website and thought "Money!"

Aloha only basically fits my needs, but its here and running and for $1k - $2k i though "fine lets do it", and i can get onto other things, and its not so much aloha as it is my reseller.

In the beginning he said "$800 and we'll take care of you, we'll the get the licenses moved over and set you up for EDC", now its $800 plus $300 for EDC, then we spoke another time about adding a terminal now he says "$800 REQUIRED + $300 for EDC + $1k for licensing + licensing for another terminal"

It just seems that every time we speak the prices go up, Then they sent a Tech over when they knew i wasn't there and they knew the construction guys were, and they tried to bully their way past them to get to the machines, little did they realize i was on the phone with him at the time.

This whole thing is just beginning to smell bad.

Restguy is pretty much right on, IMO.

I wasn't going to open that can of worms because I know a lot of guys on this forum work for Aloha dealers, and it's no reflection on them, they are a great asset to this forum.

But as someone who has been involved with Aloha for about 12 years, the purchase by Radiant put a lot more pressure on the existing dealers, in terms of hardware and software quotas, which for most smaller POS companies means less service after the sale. Most POS companies just aren't that big and run with a skeleton crew for service (there are a few exceptions) to remain competitive.

Also, Radiant is clearly focused on the business or large chains... let's face it, if your dealer has 20 Red Robins to support (among other places), they really don't have a lot of time dedicate to your single outlet business. In those periods when you are overwhelmed with business volume, who do you think it going to get the short end of the stick? And for most of the POS companies I've worked for, being overwhelmed with work was a perpetual state.

What this translates into, for you, is usually pretty much a take it or leave it approach from your dealer. Their time is limited, and if you aren't a steady cash flow stream for them, they will make sure they get their due when you eventually must use them. Hence, like Restguy said, get used to talking to your dealer in terms of several hundreds of dollars at a time, and sometimes thousands.

None of this is limited to Aloha dealers only, but it's what I've noticed with them. And while I like the software and I like to think I don't bad mouth Aloha, it seems like they are a better fit for bigger restaurants. Not a great fit for smaller place or someone trying to cut costs.

Bottom line- anyone using Aloha should consider the POS to be an absolutely integral, make or break it part of your business... or you'll be unhappy with the money your re-investing in the system and thus, unhappy with your dealer.

FYI- one other quick thought.

IF you're really not sure where this is going to end up, I'd hold off the eCard and eFrequency. Those are what we call "tying" features in the POS business.

Once you have a bunch of dining rewards and gift cards floating around and tied in with a specific system, then they really have you by the short and curlys. Many developers tell the dealers to push these products for that very reason alone. It makes restaurants far less likely to leap to another POS.

Very true alohaakamai3,
I in now way meant to bad mouth Aloha dealers in general, actually i have spoken to several in the past weeks and they were fantastic (i wish they were mine)

And if i were doing food in my place i can truly see the potential of Aloha when it comes to the integration of waitresses, barstaff, kitchen and inventory, and the routing of orders "To-go" or otherwise would indeed be an asset.

However, we are just a bar, actually this will be our third, and we are looking at another two that are failing, and summer will not be kind to them, so if aloha fits our needs better than any other, and can provide the inventory tracking we need, we have no problem dropping it into all of them, however, it will not be with this reseller.

Is it possible to purchase (new) aloha from an "Out of region" reseller?

Yes, after talking to my reseller, i figured:
Card reader / writers are cheap, 4 color mag-cards are cheap, writing a web interface is easy, and i would just go that way.
Plus i can use them at all locations from the same DB.

"Is it possible to purchase (new) aloha from an "Out of region" reseller?"

In a word, no. Technically, if there were no dealer in your area, then maybe. But in your case, not only is there a dealer, but one who is the installing dealer for the system you currently have.

You can get service any where you please. But as you probably noticed when you talked to those other dealers, some things only the installing dealer can do. And even if you were asking something they could help you with, dealers are usually careful about stepping on other dealers toes.

That's because these situations usually come down to money... a restaurant owes the dealer money, sometimes with or without legitimate complaints... and tries to get around it by finding another dealer, trying to do it themselves (ala Tektips), or complaining to Radiant. Which is, incidentally, also why Radiant usually has a "hands off" policy to getting involved in disputes, and will likely just send the customer back to the dealer (not without thoroughly embarrassing the customer, by telling the dealer the lodged a complaint).

Only in extenuating circumstances with they let you by outside your area. But like you said, at that point you'd probably just go with a different system. Aloha probably *is* overkill for place that is just serving drinks or Joe's sandwich shop. The total cost of ownership is a lot to bite off if you don't need the bells and whistles.

Thank you guys, this has been an education.

And i agree about protecting your resellers (in principal).

I thank you for your time guys, and if i was a KFC or Red Robin this is a good way to go.

I think i have all the information i need, time to roll up the sleeves and get hagglin' or bail.

Again, thank you.

No problem.

On the bright side, you're obviously a technical guy- couple that with the use of this forum, and you likely would need your dealer very little after that $800 required support contract ran out. Most Aloha systems don't require a ton of maintenance.

And after that, you get a service from knowledgeable Aloha people other than your dealer- I have had a few Aloha clients for YEARS, that only visit the local dealer for an upgrade every 5 or 6 years.

I definitely think their is some wiggle room on that pricing, and I would tell your dealer most what you told us here. That their incentive to work with you is that you may just bail on the system that seems like overkill to you anyway, in which case they'll make nothing. And that if they do work with you, you have ailing systems in two other restaurants that could work in their favor if you can reach a meeting of the minds with the current situation.

If that isn't enough to get them to show any flexibility, then I agree that this dealer is not worth your time and I would not invest with them further.

In any case, best of luck.

damn , they are doing that to me now ... asking for maintenance contract and these dumbs never actually solved any problem i faced .. every time they answer me in a month or something .... more over is their distributor is having the same concept ... they dont take good care of its customers ... and we started to change to micros 2 month ago ... they answer my mails in 2 days MAX !! ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back