Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Network Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisCraig

Programmer
Feb 10, 2012
Ok heres the issue.

I have a Checkers Quick Service that runs perfect except for one issue.

Background:

1.All orders are sent to Print group (Main)
2.Print group (Main) contains no printers
3.3 Events at start of day route walkup terminal to walkup kitchen group ,driver side to driver side kitchen group, and passenger side to passenger side kitchen group
4. Each group contains only the respective printer needed

Here is the issue:

Walkup and Driver side work perfectly however more often than not passenger side not only does not print to its kitchen printer it does not even print to its backup which is walkup kitchen. It prints to driver side which is not specified anywhere. One might think ok so 1 out of 3 events for whatever reason is not working so it would just print to MAIN but wait theres no printers in main so

1. Why is it not working correctly?
2. Why would it print to a printer outside its programmed logic?
3. How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Travis Craig

Let me also add that it prints from windows 100% of the time from the terminal that is supposed to be using it. Leading me to believe that the power is not an issue nor is the CAT5 cable.

Assuming by network printer you are refering to an ethernet printer...

First off I would create a new printer, printer group and event just to make sure it is not caused by file corruption.

Double check the IP address on the printer making sure it is correct and not conflicting with any other network devices.

Double check the dip switch settings on the printer for good measure.

Plug the printer directly into the network switch to bypass cabling. First in existing port then in a different port.

Pop a cold one and start over of none of this works.

Cross post from this thread

All of these are important, and so are POSRescue's suggestions above.
Also, just because it prints 100% from windows, I would not make the same assumptions about power or cabling at all.

Please give much more information:
6.4 what?
What brand/model of printer?
What types of printers? (Serial/usb/network, etc.)
What types of cables and/or adapters?
Where are the printers fired from?
What is the cable run like?
What type of switch are you using? (Has it been replaced in the last few years? or is it old?)
Is it a hub or a switch?
Did anything change around the time this started or before?
What does 'more often than not' mean???
Any other clues besides "More often than not"?
Have you tried swapping cables, terminals, adapters, printers...
Have you tried anything?
Can you see the configuration page in a browser? (I'm still not sure what your set up is)
Are there any settings that are inconsistent with the working printers?

I can tell you the most often (imho) overlooked things to check:
Again, x-post, but still 100% relevant:

1) Power supplies to the printers. If this is more than 1 year old, change it to a brand new one. If this particular PS is failing, the damage to the printer may already be irreversible, so try a new printer and new P/S at the same time.

2) Power circuits. All POS and computers should be on a completely separate, isolated ground circuit. NOTHING else should be on that circuit. I know this is very expensive, but if you can't do this, then get PowerVar GroundGard protection, or deal with these types of issues. I've seen this exact type of "random" issue tracked down to some idiot who plugged in a compressor (refrigerator, soda machine, a/c unit, etc.) in the same circuit as the POS. Every time the compressor kicked on, things went wonky. As you can guess, that was reported as "random" when it wasn't at all.

3) Disable auto-detect link speed on EVERY NIC ON THE LAN, including the printers, if possible. Make all network devices use the same speed/duplex settings and take the "auto-negotiate" on the switch out of the picture.

Ok so i'm doing another install. All new hardware and with the same database im still getting the exact same symptoms. Sometimes when im messing with the event timing i can get it to work but then the next day it doesnt anymore. Printer reroute events are currently set to 00:00. EOD is 29:00.

it sounds like dbf corruption. I would add another set of printers to your database and change the old printers to an unused com port and or printer groups.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back