Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha Mag Reader not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shemps

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
Aloha 6.2.33

Hello, I went about switching out a Radaint P1220 for a used p1510. All is well except the mag reader. My steps were caveman style. I pulled the old harddrive out and put it in the 1510. I loaded in the 1510 package. Following instructions in this forum, I was able to get the machine running (lanacfg etc.) The only thing not working was the mag reader. I found it to have a bent pin on the card. I swapped it out with a replacement card and presto! it worked perfectly...for one and a half days. Now the mag reader reads nothing.
I've researched everything that I can find on this forum (which is an amazing amount of material). Running Radiant packaged from control panel, originally setting as OSPOS when it first worked, I've tried every combination possible. Keyboard wedge, RSMsr named in back of house, back and forth refreshing, rebooting. I've got nothing. I uninstalled the Radiant Package and used windows uninstaller and reinstalled.
Quite often when I take this sledgehammer approach, I start back at the beginning, which is where I'm at. If anyone knows what I could be missing, I'd be eternally grateful. You've all helped me many times, here's hoping for one more.
Regards,
John

Do you have another 1510? It may be a long shot, but with Rad terminals I've seen MSRs go out in a single day before. If you can swap it with another just as a quick control test, it would at least tell us if it's the MSR or the config.

mbutler, thanks for the response. Yes, I've swapped out known working readers. I'm thinking hardware settings, improper folder hierarchy etc. It's not on any COM port. Do I have another OPOS going? I'm so stumped.
John

Yes, it must be the coding. Please post it here and we're here to resolve the problem. Thanks.

Sorry to be such a doofus (sp?). Exactly what do you mean by config and coding?
John

Post some screen shots of the reader's config from aloha manager. Also go to the desktop, right mouse click on My Computer and choose manage. In the device manager locate the mag card reader and right mouse click and choose properties. Give is thrived info you see there.

Matt Butler

Thanks for you assistance, now my screen has gone completely dark! If anything is to be salvaged, I'll ask again. Truly, thank you!
John

also check in the control panel for the radiant p15xx. You if you have it readers listed just a keyboard wedge or something to that effect you will need to start the msr service which will be found under the msr tab

OK, I'm back up and running! I appreciate all of the help on this. I'll give you all some closure. My best guess was the motherboard. After getting a new (refurbished) system, I was left with no working mag reader. This time, I went through the sequence of BOH OPOS with the naming RSMsr. Configured the terminal to OSPOS (not keyboard wedge). Reboot, refresh and viola! I'm back in business.
I will be taking apart the motherboard and changing capacitors to see if I can get a working unit. If it works, and the mag reader works, I'll repost here for further help to others.
My best regards,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back