Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha EDCSVR stuck "Starting" after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

balloon172

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2009
US
Aloha Mgr 6.4.17, EDC 6.4.14, BOH WinXP SP3

I have many sites running this version combination, but three of them exhibit this issue. Whenever the server is restarted/ rebooted, the EDC service stays stuck in "Starting". To get it to run, I must unregister and reregister EDC, then I can start and stop at will with no problems, until the next restart. BOH services and FOH login with the same credentials. I have upgraded to this version, but the problem existed before as well, running in the 6.2.x line. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Check to see if there are any .hld files in the Server's Aloha\Edc folder.

Thanks, poskia - I looked at that, and there are none, system-wide.

I never used these versions, well 6.4.17 for a very short while, and I've never seen this issue.
How is the service registered? Service, system or specific user?

RFC 79810 - Fixed an issue where Control Server (Ctlsvr.exe) was not properly functioning after EOD, which caused FOH terminals to not recognize the file server.

It looks like this was fixed in 6.4.20

Cheers,
Coorsman

Upgrad to the latest version. Will probably break something else but your edc and ctrl service will run.

Cheers,
Coorsman

funny, but true. Although I've had "ok" luck with 6.4.20

Thanks. Strange that it works at 17 other sites with identical hardware, though (I know, another "undocumented feature"!)

I will u/g to 6.4.20 and see what happens...

Thanks again!

This was taken from an old AKB file from Radiant. Maybe you could try to unreg and rereg the edc service?

To fix this, delete any request (.req), hold (.hld), or answer (.ans) files from the EDC folder on the master terminal or file server and restart the FOH computer. You might lose some EDC transaction and have to reprocess them.

Thanks - that is the only way to get it to start processing again. Unfortunately, at the next restart/reboot, the service won't restart without unreg/rereg again. I am upgrading one site today to see if that resolves it, and will post the results.

Is there anything in windows event logs that might indicate why the service is having trouble starting

As a test set the EDC service to run under system account (if you are running under a users account) and vice versa.

You might also try reinstalling the terminals; fairly painless unless you have Aloha Stored Value

OK, this is what I have done to this point:

1) Created a new user w/ admin rights, set terminals and services to logon with it - same result
2) Upgraded to EDC 6.4.34 (couldn't find 6.4.20) - same result
3) Registered EDC to the system account - same result
4) Reinstalled the terminals - same result
5) Gone through the event viewer - no entries indicating why the service won't start

This anomaly (undocumented feature?) only occurs after a reboot/restart, not after EOD.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Turn edc service debugging on and then let us know what the debout.edc says at the time it's trying to start.

Sorry for the delay in updating this - upgrading to EDC 6.4.34 resolve this issue!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back