Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha EDC unable to settle batch - NO ENQUIRY FROM HOST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macabeee

Technical User
Mar 9, 2007
US
I'm glad I found this forum, because I need some serious help and I just found out that our Aloha guy closed up shop without saying a word to me.

I am running Aloha EDC v. 5.034, and starting last night I am getting an error when trying to settle the CES batch. The modem initializes, I get a CONNECT1200 and flashing Waiting for inquiry / Respone not received. Then I get a message of Lost Host then finally a message stating "Failed Reason: NO ENQUIRY FROM HOST" I've called my bank and they are insisting that the issue is on my side.

Has anyone seen this message before, and, more importantly, how can I correct it, as I've got thousands of dollars in credit card transactions that I would like to get paid on!

My personal experience: The bank will always insist it's on your side, in almost every case. I don't know if they actually believe it, or thats been THEIR experience, but I am so used to hearing it, I don't even listen anymore.

So, humor them and try things that it could be on your side.

Try a different phone line, if you have one.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try to pick up the exact same model of modem you have there. US Robotics Serials or Zooms are safe bets (if you indeed have a serial modem).

Has anything changed that might have caused the problem, that you are aware of?

Ask the bank what is their dial in number. Then check that number with you number.
Also once you have that number, call that number (from a regular phone) and see if you are actually dialing a MODEM.

If it is something more complicated than that, then under EDC you have settings for the modem -- have you changed anything since last time you settled batch?

- Mergim

Macabeee, No enquiry from host with CES is usually a bad card somewhere. Sometimes it is a date problem, sometimes just a funny transmission. A good support person with CES will be able to tell you where the batch fails. 5.0 has lousy error reporting. You may want to upgrade.

Does the batch ever start to settle? (do you see the message to the right of modem status change as you usually would?) If not your problem could be phone line noise or a modem issue. Call CES and see if they show a record of a batch attempt.

If the batch starts to settle then fails try the following:
Open Windows Explorer. Navigate to c:\Aloha\TMP (assuming Aloha is on the C drive) and open the file Debout.edc with notepad. Find the last time you tried to settle the batch then follow that batch down to where it fails. Above the failure or error message will be a transaction number. Write it down. In EDC go to functions, delete and find the transaction in the list with that same number. If the problem is a corrupt transaction it will usually be within one or two transactions above this one or that transaction itself. Be sure you gather all info on any transactions before you delete them so you can authorized them later.

I had a similar problem today and found out that it has something to do with ie7. When I called up the bank they asked if the server was updated recently and I was like, uhh maybe. Then we checked if ie7 was installed and sure enough it was. I uninstalled it and then had to do a little house cleaning in the edc directory and I'm back in business!

check on that, call your card processor to see if it went through and if so then you need to uninstall ie7.

Thanks for the advice everyone. In a last ditch attempt to get things working I went and replaced the modem (figuring that was the only thing I didn't touch in troubleshooting this issue) and Wah Lah everything worked fine!

CES is by far the worst to work with on trouble shooting. First check your batch by reviewing through adjust and see if you have any transactions with a negative or zero amount. If so, void the transactions. After that change your port speed for settling, try to lower it. If you still have a problem, swap your modem out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back