Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha, DSL, and internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalcanvas

Vendor
Jul 25, 2006
US
Hey guys,
This is probably a really stupid question, but I need to know the answer, so...
I need to setup my BOH to access the internet via a LAN from a d-link router. I am using the router for the boh and foh terminal. How do I need to setup the router, and both terminals, IP's to allow internet access as well as keep the network intact?
Also, is it possible to run Credit Cards using the DSL connection?
Thanks,
Bryan

The setup you're looking for can easily be done but not quite that easily (huh). Let me answer the last question 1st by saying of course you can process credit cards via DSL but this in itself is a whole other project. Are you using Aloha? If yes you will need EDC software plus do business with a credit card processor compatable with same. Not much of problem unless you're using too old a version.

As for the main part of your concern let me throw you a few questions to clarify and then maybe someone with more smarts than me can steer you better.

1. OS of the BOH and FOH computers.
2. Current network scheme (tcp/ip ?)
3. 1 or 2 network cards in BOH?
4. Are BOH and FOH networks on a hub (your LAN) and then the router between the BOH and the internet?

If you do use the configuration I just mentioned along with static IP's on the lan, a default gateway and DNS on all the computers, you should be close.

Hope this helps.

Okay.
1. os on back is Windows 2000. Os on FOH is Win 98.
2. TCP/IP
3. 1 NIC in BOH
4 both are on the LAN and yes, the router is between the BOH and internet.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Bryan

One other thing, though possibly unrelated.
There is an issue with the FOH. When I exit tableservice to get working on windows, the system reboots whenever I try to access prety much anything at all. Any ideas?
BB

Okay, I got the dsl fixed, now for stupid part 2,
How do i get the edc to process using DSL?
I called Paytech, their provider, and they told me that the ISP would give me the IP addd for auth and settlement.
that just doesn't seem right to me.
Thanks
Bryan
Ps
I am not a vendor, how do I change that on this site?
:)

Re: I am not a vendor, how do I change that on this site?
Got me there, I checked in user profiles, not an option there.

Here's how my network is configured to get the internet at a terminal. I use a Linksys router so my default gateway setup on my NW properties is 192.168.1.1. Then I make the server 192.168.1.101 and all the terminals are 192.168.1.x, where x is each consecutive terminal # of 1 through 8 (but for term1 I use 11 since I can't use 1 (gateway). Exact numbering of last octet is really for keeping things organized.

On the 98 terminal, I seem to remember a "host name" or something like that which you must include in the NW properties. I can check tomorrow as I have 1 98 terminal. With 2000 this issue is null. But it is a must with 98. I remember it drove me crazy for a while.

The reboot thing...welcome to Aloha, but you didn't say you had Aloha, do you?
To get to a desktop without loading Aloha or any other program for that matter, simply hold down the CTRL key when windows first begins to boot. This disables the starting of any programs in the Startup group. Aloha will always reboot when exiting for any reason. Win2000 on a terminal can avoid that but leave this to another day.

Now for the Paytech EDC thing. This can be very tricky and usually left for a knowlegible dealer to handle. There are too many things that must be exactly correct. For instance, I began processing with Paytech just 2 months ago. My dealer said I needed an EDC upgrade because I didn't have the proper Paytech template. After upgrading EDC my EDC didn't work, dealer said I needed an Aloha upgrade. Did that now my Frequent Diner database took a #$%^&. Dealer is trying to fix that. It's been 6 weeks. Now I have 2500 customers not getting their proper rewards. I just mailed out 2500 gift cards to keep customers happy. Cost $25,000 in free Johnny Food another $1000 in printing and postage. Frustration level, priceless.

Get the idea?

But having said that if you tell me the following I'll see if I can guide you to try it.

EDC version#
Aloha version # (guessing Aloha)
Any Paytech info with some vital numbers left out
Any Paytech host addresses, SSL info etc.
See what we can do.

I will look those up and get back to you.
Thanks for your help!
Bryan

Digitalcanvas
Just looked at my 98 terminal NW properties. TCP/IP setup, in the DNS area be sure to put in a valid DNS #, you should already have a gateway I'll assume. Also in the DNS area there is a HOST field, you must provide this info. This is the name of your ISP, ex. my field says 'tampabay.rr'. Hope this works. How's the Paytech thing going?

Okay, I got the DSL fixed, the issue now is with the credit cards using the DSL.
Paytech told me to use the router's IP address as the IP for the Paytech/EDC setup. That doesn't seem right and I don't know where else to look.
Aloha is 5.2.8.224
EDC is same as aloha.
What Paytech info do you need?
Thanks for the help.
Bryan

In EDC goto config processor.
Add processor, hopefully Paymentech is listed.
You'll need at least the following info provided from Paymentech:
-Client ID#
-Term ID#
-Merchant ID#
-check the SSL box
Host:
Resource:
User Name*
Password*
*both provided by Paymentech as well

I don't quite understand your processor saying to just use your router's IP. There is more to setting up this type of processing, not to mention there is much responsibility on your part to see that it's correct. This really is dealer/tech stuff. With all the necessary info provided from the processor should only take a knowlegible tech < hr. I consider myself a fairly apt end user and I usually call the dealer whenever I set up with a new processor.

Good luck! Let me know if the processor gives you more info.

A couple of things for you.

If you control alt delete and close aloha that way, it should not reboot your terminals.

Also:

I work for a pretty decent size food chain, in which our service time is pretty quick. We have over 500 stores. We use Aloha, and EDC. We have been processing credit cards using a regular dial up modem for as long as we have been accepting credit cards. You may want to think about doing it this way if waiting 20-30 seconds for the transaction to go through wont effect your buisness too much. It is an easier set up and as long as your phone line doesnt go down, then you will be able to accept credit cards.

We have gift cards that goes through tcp/ip but if sometimes our dsl goes down and guess what, you cant use the gift cards (grr). just a thought.

I am just trying to meet the client's request, which can be frustrating as the third party IT dude.
I have experience with aloha and micros, and a small bit of squirrel, but I have NEVER had a client ask me to setup a credit processor on DSL. I know that the answer from Paytech was wrong, I just don't know where else to look for answers.
I will most likely reccomend to the client that he stick with the external modem solution that the Dealer provided.
Thanks and cheers,
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back