Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha CC Auth Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaakamai3

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2006
US
Restaurant in new construction phase, just opened.

Originally, we were told they were going to use high speed Internet to auth cards. So, we weren't concerned when the motherboard we purchased didn't have an available serial port.

Per usual, the ball was dropped by someone employed with the restaurant (it was forgotten about), and the local service provider is telling the client they can't be out to install their cable modem until next week. The system is currently in spool down, and naturally, the client is panicking because the money is not going to the bank just yet.

Now they have requested a dial up modem (if you're picking up on my irritation, this is not the first time this has happened). Most recently (with a different client in the same situation), we tired to use a USB to Serial cable along with a serial US Robotics modem. I've gotten this setup to work with printers before, but the not with the modem. We kept getting failed to initialize errors and a host of other random errors on the hardware end, even with the tried and true US Robotics (which always seems to work with Aloha).

Are there any tips to making this work? I had the right com port, init strings, and everything else looked good. I am extremely concerned that I am going to go onsite tomorrow and end up spending 4 hours trying to get this thing to work to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Ive used a USB US Robotics modem set to "Practical Peripherals 28800" in EDC on several sites. Only problem I had was at one site where I had to change the initialization string a little bit, but other sites needed no reconfiguring.

Did the USB to serial cable come with a software disk? Make sure you load that. Haven't used it on a modem but have used it for setting up OPOS printers and we had to load the disk for it to work right.

Can you add a serial card?

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

I use us robotic 56k usb on all my sites, use 14400 practical
Peripherals as the setup and it will work fine.

For the record, I was able to get it to work with the USB to serial adapter, without much effort, thankfully. I am not sure what the problem was the last time I tried this, but who knows.

Thanks for the info. I am seriously confused about one thing though. Does the USB US Robotics modem install some type of virtual com port automatically? I am guessing it must, since there's no way to select USB from the EDC interface.

Anyway, hopefully this won't come up too often anymore since dial up is becoming a thing of the past, but it definitely would be good to know for future reference.

I think you can change the com port under modem settings, or if not there under the US Robotics Control Center.

Good to know.

Yes Bo, I did need to load the drivers on both occassions we used the USB to Serial converters. The one I had trouble with was a belkin, this one was made by Cables Unlimited, and it didn't give me any trouble.

with the serial modems being harder to come by (and sometimes expensive), I will probably give my USB a shot if I run into this situation again.

I use high speed internet to authorize cc orders, is there any way I can also add a modem and have aloha revert to the modem when the DSL goes down? Could you please tell me what steps tp take to set this up?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back