Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha appetizer separator line 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifesabuzz

Technical User
Apr 5, 2008
US
In Aloha, I'm trying to have a line put on the chit that separates the appetizers from the entrees. I've been all through the BOH to no avail. How is this done? I know it can be, I've seen it in the past.

Thanks.

Typically on the POS there is no unique way to handle this. All you need to do is program a menu item (or modifier) and make it available on all the food screens. The descriptor for such an item can be ********** or /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ or =============, "next course", whatever appeals to you. The servers then use the "separator line" whenever they choose. It may also be best to view it as a "course line" rather than apps vs entree due to the fact that they can use it multiple times on a single order. Pub style menus often have two app courses delivered to larger parties before the entrees arrive. Choosing between a menu item or modifier may depend on the way it appears on the chit. IE: your POS system may indent modifiers
IE: course line programmed:
as menu item as modifier

Wings Wings
Medium Medium
X-Bleu X-Bleu
Mozz Stix Mozz Stix
Reuben Reuben
Steak Sandwich Steak Sandwich
Fries Fries

Also consider whether or not you can prevent "zero" priced menu items from printing on the guest check since that is what our first IE is. The guest check looks a little sloppy when a menu item such as ************** appears on it so be sure you can prevent it from printing on the check. If you can't consider programming the course line as a modifier because many POS systems will not print "zero" priced mods on the check.
The biggest challenge you may have is programming the location of the course line button because it should be available on every food screen the server is using. A server should not have to "hunt" for a button this popular.

So if you already know how to program menu items on your Aloha system you can get started.

This can be done in Aloha by using Menu Item Priority.

First, under Store Settings - > Printing-Chits, go to the Chit Style tab and make sure the 'Sort Items according to Priority' and 'Print a separator line between Priority' boxes are checked.

Second, under Maintenance -> Menu -> Items, set the Priority for each of your items. Using your example of Appetizers and Entrees, I would set the Priority for all Appetizers to 10, and the Priority for all Entrees to 20. This will group all like items together on a chit, and when a chit contains both Apps and Entrees, the Apps will print first with a separator line printing between the Apps and Entree groups.

I am using Tableservice v6.1.9. If you are on an older version of TS, this is still available but the steps in Store Settings may be different (I am not sure). If you are using QS, I am not 100% sure if this is available, but this should point you in the right direction. Please post back if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Good post ZAhead31. But can you over ride the priority priniting in cases where a guests orders an app as an entree. In those cases do you use an "as entree" modifier.
Curious if the priority printing you set up effects how items may consolidate when multiples are ordered?

Great point, TobeThor. We don't run into that too often at our restaurants, but when we do the server would fire separate chits. First, the chit with the apps so it will be made first. Then, a few minutes later fire the ticket with the entrees.

There is still a fundamental flaw because the second ticket would still separate the lone app from theh rest of the entrees. I am not sure that there is a way to over ride the priority printing... I have never looked into it that deeply.

Now that I think about it... You could set up a second batch of appetizer items, and give them the same priority value as entrees. Add this second group to the entree submenu in case someone would like to order an app as an entree.

Create a modifier called "as entree" or whatever. Give it the same priority as the entrees. If that modifier is selected for the appetizer it should change the item priority of that app so it prints with the entrees.

**Be sure "Always Use Maximum Modifier Priority" is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back