Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha and EMV Cards 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancruzhurtado

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2010
US
Hey Everyone,

So, what's the procedure to install EMV card readers for Aloha?
Does the software need to be updated?

Any help or links or anything at all will be very much appreciated.

Juan

From what I am seeing they appear to be standalone machines. I will know more in the next week or 2 as I am going to go through training on it. For new sites and upgrades it will honestly take a site survey to determine everything you need to setup much like you get a VAR (parameter sheet) now from credit card processors. It will be a similar process. I will update when I know more.

So NCR's advice for EMV is basically BYOD. Talk to your processor and get an external device as they don't have a solution to integrate with there hardware at this time.

AlohaRoss
3rd Party support

Am I the only one that cannot believe how horribly this transition to EMV has been handled by all the parties?

No Ross thats not really what it is. I believe for EMV you have to be on 12.3 which means you pretty much have to have 1530's. NCR offers devices. The ones I listed above.

the device you mention is a stand alone device. When you return from training let us all know how it intragrates with older versions of Aloha and not that old of equipment like the new P1515's I have a client who opened less than 10 months ago and was sold P1515. By your comment they now would need to replace them with P1530s to beable to use the new hardware. Juan is correct, it has been a horrible transition. Sad part, EMV has been around for a long time, only the USA is just getting around to it. Perhaps its the cost to make the cards or the amount of fraud v/s replacing every card with a new emv card. Now that the liability has shifted to the business, there is even less of an incentive to get cards with chips to users. the big 6 will just wait unitl your card expires before replacing. I had to call each of my banks and request new cards. Some like first national bank were not even ready 6 months ago. As of Jan, I still have not received a card with a chip from them. Been asking since August 2015.

From Creditcards.com

6. So since Oct. 1, 2015 has passed, the transition to EMV technology is complete?

Not exactly.

Although the deadline was strong encouragement for all payment processing parties to become EMV-compliant as soon as possible, not everyone has made the transition yet.

"It's going to take a little time to adapt," says Doug Johnson, vice president of risk management policy for the American Bankers Association.

EMV debit cards in particular are rolling out at a slower pace. The PULSE 2015 Debit Issuer Survey found that while 90 percent of financial institutions have begun issuing EMV debit cards or will do so by the end of the year, [highlight #FCE94F]only 25 percent of U.S. debit cards (about 71 million cards) will be chip-equipped by the end of 2015. The percentage of EMV debit cards in consumer's hands is expected to reach 73 percent by the end of 2016 and 96 percent by the end of 2017[/highlight].

So far, the large majority of chip cards going into the hands of cardholders are coming from larger issuers like Bank of America and Chase, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. [highlight #FCE94F]The cost of this EMV transition is causing smaller banks to convert their cards more slowly[/highlight].

EMV debit cards may be issued at an even slower pace as banks have to prep their software to accept those new cards as well, according to Ferenczi.

Overall, while many chip cards have already been issued, some people may have to wait longer than others before sent a new EMV card, according to Johnson.

"Different companies will have different rollout strategies," says Johnson. Some will base their actions on card expiration dates; others will work to get chip cards into the consumer's hands as soon as possible

Read more: Follow us: @CreditCardsCom on Twitter | CreditCards.com on Facebook
Compare credit cards here - CreditCards.com[highlight #FCE94F][/highlight]

AlohaRoss
3rd Party support

I am pretty sure you can still run 12.3 on 1515's but you can't have a ton of extra software like gift cards, loyalty, takeout software etc as 12.3 takes a lot of space on a hard drive.

My 1515's run 12.3, Stored Value, Loyalty, Fishbowl Promotions Manager, and ATG. Do NOT try and run ATO on one though as it doesn't always work well. The units have 2 gig of ram and a 4 gig UDOC.

From what I gather, if you are going to do EMV with an NCR product, you need 12.3. If you are going to use a 3rd party unit that does its own implementation (like RAIL2), it is up to the manufacturer what POS they support.

NCR told me that 12.3 was going to be required but they had enough complaints they backed it back down to 6.7. So ... I don't know. It's not uncommon to get 8 different answers from 5 people but you might ask again.

I am also trying to figure out what to do for a full service EMV solution. I have talked to NCR, Local provider, other stores, several vendors, TableSafe, Ziosk etc... and nobody is there yet. Last I saw, NRA/TRA is telling people to wait a little longer for products and vendors to get products out.

I was at summit for technology in restaurants this week and this wasn't even a topic. I asked the keynote speaker and moderators and got shoulder shrugs. They said ... it's here, you just have to figure it out. (the Summit was pretty good outside of this issue).

Look forward to hearing comments.

He is right. They did back it down to like 6.7.67+ and 12.3.32+ are the versions supported. They are working on 14 and 15 currently I believe.

Specs-
CFC Version 16.1+ or 15.8 and lower
Aloha Pos 12.3.32+ or 6.7.67+
Atleast windows XP with .net 3.5 sp1

Aloha FOH Core +1 Specs
Processor: 1.3+GHz
Storage: 4GB
RAM: 2GB
Network Interface: 10/100/1000
Video: SVGA or 24bit full color
Ports: USB, Serial, DV1

If you go out and buy it from someone other than NCR there are certain things you need to ask for in regards to licensing and encryption keys etc.

There is so much I see that can go wrong with all of this. They are basically rolling out by credit card processor in a way. The timeline is outlined by processors and products and additional releases for features like ATO, Handhelds etc.

The way tips work is going to change drastically. It is going to be a fun transition for everybody.

I just went through a training and we're pretty much ready to go with 4 processors. Tips, adjustments, credits, etc is not a factor for POSitouch. Outside of the time it takes for the readers to process each card, there is very little difference.

Sounds like for Aloha, you will have to do the tip while the card is in the reader. Haven't heard about Micros, going to guess no one knows there since they barely answer the phone these days.

You can do a tip after but you have to settle schedule an end of day in events to close the "batch." At this point it is a lot to wrap your head around for the Aloha side. It will take approximately a 1/2 a day to setup a site. NCR will create the store for you in the portal and you will configure it based on templates you setup. I look for them to streamline the process in someway in the near future so it doesn't take as long.

Hey guys,

Revisiting this yet once again.
Is anybody familiar with the legal boundaries of EMV?
We just got an e-mail from Chase stating the following:

" As we discussed adjusting the card authorization after dipping a chip card to add a tip line is not EMV so there is a risk that you can lose a chargeback even if you dipped the chip card because you can’t change the amount after a completed transaction. This leaves us with “pay at the table” or asking your customers to include their tip at the same time they present their card as the two EMV options."

It sounds bogus to me, but I don't know.
If it's true, the only way to be running EMV cards at sit down restaurants will be with wireless terminals for people to include the tip directly at the table.

Juan

Not completely true Juan,

They are still working on releases for tips and bar tabs. You should be able to still adjust tips through Aloha like normal with EMV with some adjustment releases and with the portal setup correctly. Managers or admins would also be able to adjust transactions through the portal but would have to manually settle transactions at the end of the day or have an event setup in NAM/CFC to do so. The real dilemma I see today is the bar tabs. They are looking at tokens but I don't think they really have a concrete plan yet.

One major detail that was omitted that I have found is if you put the wrong card on the wrong ticket you are kind of out of luck (to me this is terrible because new servers or inexperienced people this is very easy to do)

It also depends on what kind of card it is: chip & pin or chip & signature. Chip and Pin will not support tips period. (another way for foreign customers to get out of tipping I suppose [cook]

The only thing we've lost in the POSitouch world is with EMV we don't get the name from the card. Preauths, repeating transactions, tips, adjustments, moving cards from one check to another work the same as before. Not much of a difference in the back of house.

how are you going to move cards from one check to another lol. I think you are going to have more of a hassle than you even know yet!

My NCR vendor is still telling me Sep-Nov before products will be ready. They are taking classes and seminars now trying to get ready. I am trying to get everything ready internally but so many outstanding questions. They also won't reveal pricing ... which makes it really hard to budget.

PosTech72, in POSitouch, split off off the items on the check to either guest 2 or the split off field, the remaining check will have the CC token on it. Combine that with the check you should have put the card on, go to CC auth, repeat the auth for new amount and new slips will print, etc. Same we can do with regular cards, there isn't much difference we're seeing yet. Will know more in a few weeks as more sites that do tips get on board. I am expecting the worst things for some people will be never seeing a CC number again and the extra time it takes to read the cards.

SpicyTips, can't believe you will have to wait till Fall, that's crazy.

I am hearing form other sources it is supposed to be sooner ... I am going to press harder on my vendor and NCR contacts to get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back