Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha 6.x Upgrade Worth the Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltso

Technical User
Mar 12, 2008
US
I am running Aloha 5.2.5 in my restaurant and wonder if the cost for upgrading is worth it. My reseller is talking about an amnesty program where I can upgrade now and get 3 years of upgrades. Offer available until the end of the month. Will you users on this forum comment please on the advantages of upgrading? What features on the upgrades do you find most beneficial? I have 2K server on a server and a combo of Windows 98 and 2K on terminals. Will an upgrade to 6.2 or 6.4 require redoing OS on these?

Taking advantage of the amnesty period is very important for the CISP compliance. It is still a moving target, although Aloha 6.x is quite a bit different then the version that you are currently using, and version 5.3.14 is the minimum requirement for compliance.
My recommendation is to purchase the upgrade, request 5.3.31 and when and where you need to go to 6.x, you will be within a 3 year window to move up to that version.
Hope this helps

Brad C.

The upgrade is worth it, the primary reason to upgrade is the new CC compliancy. Visa is comming out with new laws that are requireing a different all new guidelines, this Amnisty program is a steal, you get 3 years of free upgrades, so next year when Visa changes the laws again, you can just bump up to the new version. Anyhow the 6.1.* is a whole lot better, and runs faster, the only thing that you would need to do is install IE version 6 on all terminals and possibly the server that are not running 128bit encription, IE takes care of that.

Itso
I'm curious as to the cost your dealer wants for your proposed upgrade.

I would like to upgrade just to be able to suppress the ability for servers to "not be able to delete CC's". I'm on 5.3.29 and I'm told 6 will do this.

Being out of any amnisty at this time, dealer said it would cost me whatever 40% of an entire new site license would be. Ouch.. I didn't even bother to go any further with a quote cause with 8 terms, edc, BO mods, its got to be mucho dinero.

Curious as to any price info you can pass along. To me, at this time, not worth it while 5.3.29 is compliant.

Question-

Currently running 5.3.32 on my two systems. One system is all posiflexes running W2K, the other is Javelin LCP's running Win95B (OSR 2). Javelins are incapable of running W2K or xp, but can run NT 4.

Is the os requirement for 6.x hinged on IE 6's 128 bit encription? Will 6.x run on NT4? If so, NT can run IE 6, it looks like i can convert the javelins to NT and upgrade.

The cost should be around $1,200 no matter how many terms, and that is for 3 years, 8 terms would be aroung $3,600 for only one year without the free online training.
Windows 95 is better for aloha than NT4, because you can instal 128bit IE 6 on 95, but I'm sure you are not able to with NT4. Better that you just upgrade those to IE6 and setup a UN/Password on the windows 95 terms, I have seen where there is no password, you may need to use Tweek UI so that the terms will autologon.

Thanks for the replies.

rosemarysbaby & JKirland:
I was quoted $1350 per site, regardless of number of terminals, 3 years of upgrades. Far less expensive than normal upgrade charges. The amnesty period expires 3/31, so I'm told.

I was also told that the 3/31 amnesty date (which was originally 12/31/07, I think) was extended per Radiant. Time is tight, but you may want to double-check with your dealer. Tell them that random people on the internet said so, I'm sure they love hearing that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back