Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha 4.235 terminal startup problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvpro

Technical User
Apr 27, 2006
US
SETUP: 2 terminals + BOH server.
Work fine 1 at a time.
If 1 terminal is running, the second won't start - it shuts off after getting to the line : Determining fileserver.

I can start the second terminal and the 1st one will shut off for the same reason.

Please help. They only work one at a time. Can't connect together. Terminals worked together fine before until smth happened.

Thank you.

This is an old version of Aloha and I never worked with it, but maybe I can point you in the right direction to look for the cause of your problems.

1. check to see if anyone changed the number of terminals at the BOH.
2. check your iberconfig settings at the terminal and BOH
3. check for an ip or naming conflict between the terminals

I hope this helps. SkinnysPOS

Sounds to me like 1 or both of the terminals do not have the drive shared correctly or users are not set up if using a secured OS.

- Make sure the drive Aloha is installed on is shared as bootdrv with full access on both terminals.
- If using a secured OS (NT, 2K, XP...) make sure both terminals are logging in with the same user. If not be sure each terminal's user is registered on the other terminal.
--Each of these also applies to the fileserver however that is probably not the problem...

Cheers

The terminals connect via Netbios.
The names are Term3 and Term6.
The config file is up to the specs.

The file sharing looks ok because I can fully access the Z drive from both computers. And the terminals are fully functional one at a time.

I can connect via pc anywhere (Netbios) to both terminals and they connect ok. No networking issues here.

Do you guys thing its a server problem? Is there anything I can reset. Is there any folder I can overwrite. I'm completely clueless.

Thank you Posrescue.
Both terminals are windows98SE.
C: drive on NT server (NTFS) is shared as bootdrv with full access to everyone.
Terminals reconnect to Z: without any isssues.
Could it be NTFS glitch?

One more thing for consideration.
The 1 online terminal is fully functional and does all the job it is supposed to do. It communicates with the server and runs the sales. Can't be a sharing or config issue.

Check the drive sharing on the terminals. They also have to be shared as bootdrv with full access. The master terminal will communicate with the fileserver without this. However all other terminals communicate directly with the Master. If the drive sharing is not correct on the master the other terminals will not find the fileserver as Iber starts and will reboot at "destermining fileserver".

Do you mean the protocol is NetBEUI?

Thank you posrescue.

This is the only thing that I failed to verify.
Did not know that the terminals should be shared.
I'll try that shortly and keep this thread updated.
I will paypal a reward or donate to the community if it really solves the problem.

P.S. NetBEUI is an extension to NetBIOS and it is basically the same thing in the context.

Based on your description I am confident of the problem and solution...

The file and printer sharing was not installed on both machines. I had no idea the terminals were supposed to be shared. Some real expert advice from posrescue.

I will certainly donate to the forums as they were very helpful in the deadend situation.

Thank you again everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back