Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing Real Player past ISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwillmer

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi,

I have been beaten by this problem. My ISA server 2000 with SP1 will not allow real player to play streaming audio from web sites. I have gone through Real Player's support site and followed their suggestions, opened up ports and still get an access denied message. Our ISA server requires authentication to use the Internet. I have made sure that the settings in Real Player are setup properly.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Do you have a firewall other than the ISA server that may be blocking real traffic. Real audio and Real video use their own proprietory protocol. You may need to allow these protocols through the Firewall. if your ISA server is being used as a Firewall you ma need to add a new protocol definition and allow users access to it.

Hello,

I am basically in the same situation as stated above. I have an ISA Server that requires authentication on http traffic that goes through port 80.

I have went through the directions that real audio gives, but this doesn't work b/c the initial request that real player makes is through port 80 (which requires authentication) so the player errors out.

I have also read this knowledge base article that seems to be referred to a lot - however this article suggests that you allow certain users on our network that require real audio (which would be our entire network) to not require authentication, which we can not allow.

So my question is this. Is there a way either through ISA (opening up something or other) or by means of a registry hack with real audio, or any other way to get real audio to work while requiring authenticating outbound traffic through port 80?

Thank you to the wonderful ISA Guru that answers this question!

Tad

I found to answer to the problem with RealPlayer and ISA with authentication. Here is a list of a few setting I am using:
Authentication is required for all traffic -
- server properties - Outgoing Web Requests "Ask unauthenticated users for identification" is checked
HTTP Redirector Filter Properties -
- "Redirect to local Web Proxy service
Access Policy - Protocol Rules
- New Rule for Streaming Media -
- Allow predefined protocols "MMS Windows Media, PNM - RealNetworks protocol (Client), RTSP"
Key Item:
Download the newest Real Player (RealOne)
It works with fiewalls the require authentication.
The first time a seesions makes a connection through the firewall it will prompt for username and password. The username need to be typed in the the domain name first :
"Domain\username"
Please contact me for any other questions.
zcolton@burltwpsch.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back