Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allowing multiple 'FROM' address in outlook/exch 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesagnew

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
FR
Hi

We're using Exchange 2003 / Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTPS.

Could someone give me a bit of guidance in doing what I think should be something fairly simple...

John Smith has default email address: johnsmith@domain.com

He also other address such as certs@domain.com and orders@domain.com that define a single mailbox.

How do I set his account so that he can select his own FROM field when he writes an email i.e. he'd like his email to appear to come from johnsmith@domain.com or orders@domain.com etc depending upon the situation.

I've got the FROM field appearing, but clicking it only brings up the Address Book which doesn't contain John Smith's multiple email addresses, just his default address only.

I want to only have a single mailbox for John Smith since all mail (default + aliases) need to go to just one place.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards, James

have you given rights to send mail as the other accounts to his main account?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

--"WOW-- What a Ride!"

I'm looking at the email address tab under AD > Users > John Smith > Properties

and I've got johnsmith@domain.com set as Primary and the other 4 email address listed below it.

I can't see where I would go to edit the mail send rights for these addresses. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks for your help.

On the Exchange server open ADUC and ensure you have the Advanced Feature option enabled. Open the user account and switch to the Security tab. Add the users you want to be able to send as and ensure you check the send as right. To gain access to the mailbox, the added users will also have to have the Read and Full Mailbox rights as well. I believe this is done on the General tab, mailbox rights.

silentsam33

Thanks for your reply.

In the Secuity tab, only a list of AD users is listed, so I am unable to select the appropriate email addresses.

There is only one ADUC user called John Smith whose primary email address is johnsmith@domain.com. He does, however (in the same single account) have addition alias email addresses listed in the 'Email Addresses' tab for his account.

In other words, these alias emails (cert@domain.com, tech@domain.com) do not exist elsewhere i.e. they don't have their own ACUD account.

Am I mistaken in what I'm trying to achieve? I simply want John Smith to be able to use the 'alias' emails (listing in his account) as his FROM address when he sends mail.

Thanks very much for any further help you might be able to offer.

Regards, James

You cannot do that, period.
If you want a user to be able to sent as different addresses, you need to create as many mailboxes too.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

Just a guess here, sorry if it's way off base...

From my reading/classes on AD, they say you can delegate control very specifically to users for administrative tasks. Look and see if you can give only him permission to edit only his account, then see what is the minimal rights to give hime if he can change his default SMTP address.

Kind of far-fetched, but worth looking into.

You really NEVER EVER give an end-user control over ANY part of the Server or Exchange! NEVER !

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

Marc

Thanks for your reply.

If it's impossible to do this without creating new accounts, then I don't understand why Exchange happily lets any use have numerous 'alias' email addresses and forwards them correctly to his/her mailbox.

It seems that incoming mail (johnsmith@domain.com, cert@domain.com, tech@domain.com) can be 'filtered' to reach the appropriate single mailbox for the single user John Smith, but now your saying that outgoing mail needs completely separate mailboxes.

IMO, it's not a big step for Exchange to allow outgoing mail 'aliases' in the same way that it already allows incoming 'aliases'.

Am I way off base here?

Thanks again for any help.

James

You are not way of base at all, and you are right it should straightforward, but it just is not build that way.

There are however, as ususal, workarounds. Either from third party providers or by programming it yourself, where the first is extra budget and the second very good knowledge.

The 'reason' why incoming mail can have several aliases forwarded to one mailbox is as you described, basically just a dumb filter.
Any outgoing transmission is always bound to privileges, rights, authentication, etc., so that is totally different from incoming.

Marc
[/sub]

You're welcome

Marc
[/sub]

that's simple. just set outlook client to use pop or imap instead. 3 accounts with all three alias for each using one mailbox/user account. hope that help. i have to do that here

As Marcs41 mentioned, you have to create separate mailboxes for each of the aliases you wish to use in the From field. Give the primary user the right to send on behalf of those users and you're all set. On the admin side of things, setting this up is not hard. Once you create the users and the mailboxes and have given the Send on behalf permissions, you probably will need to hide the address (if you do not wish internal users seeing them) and forward all emails to those users to your primary account.

If you wish for a 3rd party solution, maybe what you're looking for.

Claudius (What certifications??)

It is a bit convaluted but I believe you CAN do this.

This is a feature for when you have multiple accounts. It is important to note that an alias is just that, another name for an existing account and is not a seperate account. So, here is what I suggest you do.

First off, you need to set up POP access on your server. Configure the POP3 Virtual Server.

Next configure your clients Outlook for their normal Exchange access. Then modify that profile and add a POP account. Give the pop account the necessary information to access your server. Be sure to check the option under advanced to leave messages on the server. In the POP settings, more settings, set the reply to address to be the same as the Alias you want the user to be able to send mail from.

When the user creates a new email, there will be a new button on the top of the menus that says Accounts. The user can then select the alternate account. You can configure as many POP accounts as needed for each alias to be supported.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

That would work, but it kind off defies the use of Exchange server right?
If, like it should be, you are using Outlook in corporate mode, you are either stuk with the 3 mailboxes, or you use a third party like the example Claudek posted.

From my point of view, if you want all users to use POP3, you may as well not have an Exchange server at all, since you loose all other features.

Marc
[/sub]

Mark u got the id. this work n does not defies the use of Exchange features. remember this is still just 1 mailbox. just setup differently to fool the system. i have mind setup with exchange along with 2 imap accounts using the same network id etc but each with a dif email address thus givin u the option to select which account to send as.

Dave

I think, if everyone would read the FIRST line of the question:
We're using Exchange 2003 / Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTPS.
you would see POP3 is not the solution in this case.

Marc
[/sub]

On the contrary, I have an Outlook over HTTP connection to my office and was able to add a POP account without a problem.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

cool mark. with minor tweets. http, pop, imap, all the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back