Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing input to combo box on Data Access Page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrock316

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
US
Hello,

How do you set up a combo box (dropdown)on a Data Access Page so that it allows a user to be able to type in the data, as well as select from a list? Curretly i have it bound to a field in a table and it works fine for pulling up the data from that field. It just wont allow the user to type in something if it is not on the list. Do Data Access Pages not hae that capability? Any suggestions for a workaround? I have thought about adding a "Type in Entry" to the list, which would be tied to a onchange event that unhides a text box that allows the user to type in the data. They then would have to hit a "ok" button to put that data into the value of the combo box. But that seems very clunky. Hopefully somebody has a better suggestion.

Thanks
RICHARD

Thanks Fneily,

That will help me down the road, but right now im hoping to avoid having the user having to hit an "add new ..." button. I want them to be able to type in the info on the dropdown if its not there. I want it to be equivalent to a combo box on a form where it is both a list box and a text box. DAP may not have this feature ad i may be out of luck.

Forget about what you know about controls on Access Forms. You're coding in the Internet Explorer environment -- web pages. Separate entities. The Comboboxes don't have the same coding behind them.
The logic behind the article is that when you build the original combobox, all records are known. So the combobox has all the necessary items. The only reason a user would type in the combobox is to add a new record. Why else? So the record is made and the combobox updated.
You'll find alot of "clunky" in DAP's.

Thanks again Fneily,

At least now i know i can stop looking for the "text & list combo box" approach and i will modify my DAP to something similar to the article. You saved me some time on fruitless searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back