Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing another mail server to relay through Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have an Exchange 5.5 server and i also have a 2nd mail server for hosting a few domails and a list server. List Server that is setup to use a few email address on the exchange server but it wont relay.

They will go to the local exchange user but not back out on to the internet

i had it open to all relaying for over a year but now im getting hit by spammers so i had to close it, but when i did the list stopped working.

im pretty sure it has to do with the routing restrictions page

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q196626

XFOR: Restricting Routing in the Internet Mail Service
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5

Symptoms
The Exchange Server Internet Mail Service (IMS) allows you to configure the server to allow mail relaying. When you enable the Mail relaying in the IMS's 'Routing' property page, all mail will be routed without restrictions. Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 1 allows the administrator to impose restrictions on routing.
Resolution
To enable these restrictions on routing functionality, follow these steps:
Install Exchange Server 5.5 Server Pack 1 (or later).
Open the properties on the Exchange Server Internet Mail Service and select the Routing page. After the SP1 installation, this page will have an additional button called <Routing Restrictions...>.
Click Routing Restrictions to bring up a dialog box with additional Restrictions.
More Information
Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 1 adds &quot;Routing Restrictions&quot; to the Internet Mail Service. This allows the administrator to specify who can relay mail off of your Exchange Server computer.

The following Restrictions have been added:

Specify the hosts and clients that can route mail when the following conditions have been met.
Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate:

Messages sent from hosts and clients with valid logon information are relayed.
Hosts and clients with these IP addresses:

Messages sent from host whose IP addresses and subnet mask fall within the range to be allowed to relay.

To only allow a single host or client, enter in the format, IP=>full IP address of client< (i.e 1.1.1.1), MASK=255.255.255.255

To allow a range of IP address to relay, enter in the format, IP=>scope to allow< (i.e 1.1.1.0>, MASK=255.255.255.0. This will allow the address range of 1.1.1.1 - 1.1.1.254 to relay.
Hosts and clients connecting to these internal addresses

Messages sent by hosts and clients that connect to the specified IP address on the Microsoft Exchange Server computer are relayed. This allows multihomed servers to restrict message relay based on the IP address to which the client connects. If you select this option, you must disable IP forwarding on the Networking property pages in Control Panel.
Specify the hosts and clients that can NEVER route mail.
Messages sent from the specified IP addresses and subnet mask are NOT relayed.

I have had to do this also for a Blackboard Server that host Online College Courses to enable Professors and Students to be able to email back and forth for class information. Hope this helps

tim2002: I think novellhotrod covered all the steps needed in setting up the Restrictions.

After you finish the setting, restart the IMS from the server. Make some tests from Telnet utility (MAIL FROM, RCPT TO), to ensure relaying from other unwanted domains are prohibited.

Cheers, -Jack It's not about whether you can do it or not, it's about HOW
OK, Let's Do It !!! [pipe]
jliu@Cipk.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back