Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowing an Outlook Client to Change their own password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2001
US
I know this is probably very simple but, I'm new to Exchange systems. Can you tell me specifically I need to do to allow a outlook client user to change their own password to something unique. Do I do it on the client end or on the server side? Thanks.

Depends how Outlook handles authentication. Check in the SERVICES section of Outlook under ADVANCED for "LOGON NETWORK SECURITY". Usually it uses the user's domain password, but depends on what environment you have.

Is it an NT4 or AD domain, a workgroup?

Regards
jpaf

Thanks for the response, we have an NT 4.0 Domain. The Exchange server is on a different domain which "trusts" our domain. If it usually uses the logon network password of the user can I just change that on my server in our domain or do I need the admin from the other domain to change it in users and groups so she can change her password to whatever she likes?

If the user account is in your domain you can do it. It's a setting in their user account in NT4 "User Cannot change password". Remove this tick and then they can change their network password using their PC.

Regards
jpaf

Great! So Exchange 2000 uses the NT accounts username and passwords for authentication. Thanks.

Exchange does and if it's Exchange 2000 then it must be an AD domain, not NT4.

Regards
jpaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back