Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow users to install local printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncolsgk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
To install or modify a local printer, a user must either be a member of the Administrators group or a member of the Power Users group.

If the user is a member of the Power Users group, they must be granted the Load and unload device drivers right:

Default Domain group policy at Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment

or

Local Security Policy at Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment.

I would like to allow users of my domain to install local printers. If I add them to the Power Users group, wont that give them the ability to install applications? Im trying to prevent that for obvious security reasons. Can I just grant them the "load and unload device drivers right" without adding them to the Power users group?

We have a print server setup. Our users can go to our print server's web site and it will allow them to see all the printers and install them. Our users are regular users and not power or admins.

It works well.

-Mike

Adding a printer from a print server is not the same thing as adding a printer that is locally connected to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back