Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow Users Larger Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

PU36

MIS
Mar 16, 2005
US
I currently have a global setup to only allow 15MB Messages to be sent through all Exchange Servers. Howerver there are a few individuals who need to send 20-30MB files via email. Is there a method to allow those users larger mail messages while still restricting everyone else.

I have read numerous articles on how to start big and shrink bases on connector, Distribution Group, Routing Group, etc.. but I need it to grow with certain users.

You will find those options in active directory under the exchange tab I believe. (open active directory users and computers, go to users, right click on the user you want to change and go to properties, then you should see an exchange general, and e-mail tab amonst others) You should pretty much be able to override most of the blanket limitations that are set on the server.

Be very careful about letting your users RECIEVE very large files, since your database can grow very fast that way, and if you dont monitor your mailbox store size, it can get out of hand quickly and cause you guys some downtime.

Good luck!

That is what I attempted to do the first time, but for some reason the Global Settings of 15MB would override the user settings? I changed one user to 30MB but it still prevented that user from sending anything larger than 15MB.

The only Global Settings that I have implemented are the (Global Settings ~ Message Delivery) at 15MB. Nothing at the store, mailbox, connector system policies, etc...

Does the Global Settings implementation override the user settings?

There are 4 places to set size limits; global settings, the smtp connector if you have one, the smtp virtual server, and the mailbox(by extention store defaults too). Check all 4.

If you want users to send/receive messages over the internet (smtp protocol) don't forget about content conversion. Converting from mapi to mime generallyy entails base64 encoding of attachments which bloats message size about a third. If you want to send/receive 15mb messages, set the limit for 20mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back