Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow two FTP login for same folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2005
US
Hello,

I have one public ip address that i can use for ftp. I have it setup and working but i have come to a point where I was asked to do something and i cant figure it out. My boss saves images to our server in our office and then from home he is able to access the images via ftp. he now wants one of his friends to be able to access those images as well, is there a way i can have two different logins to access the same folder?

ie: i want my boss to have full control via ftp and his friend to only have read rights to the folder

sorry chrishirst i dont know what you mean, can you clarify?

Bit of asp/.net code on a page that reads the folder contents and displays links and/or thumbnails to the images, the other user can then view or download the images without needing ftp access.

But you can create a second login for FTP access to a folder.
It's exactly the same procedure as I assume you used for creating the first just limit access via the ACL & NTFS permissions as well as setting read only in the MMC.
Also make sure the second username has NO access to anything other that one folder.
A user that you have NO control over what machines they access the server from, is a potential weak point in your server security.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back