Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allow to listen but not save music files on website

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjmichner

Technical User
Jul 30, 2006
US
hello all i am new here i hope this is the right forum.

i am doing a website for a musician who wants people to hear his music but not be able to save it. they are mp3 files in a frontpage 2003 site.

is there a good way to do this? would i need to embed an audio player or should i just make the songs "sample" length only? what do you suggest?

thank you

Hi

Please read faq253-6072. The problem is not identic but the explanation is good.

If you do not want the music to be saved by the visitors, then do not make it available on the net. If you still want to publish it, then you may worsen the quality so nobody will want to save it.

I suggest to sacrifice one melody and make it freely available for download. If people will enjoy it, will buy the others too. Otherwise will not save it anyway.

Feherke.

thanks i thought that was probably the only answer. i will just make only portions of the songs available. thanks again!

You could try embedding the files inside Flash, but that's not 100% foolproof. However, it will deter most people.

-kaht

Looking for a puppy?

silky-icon-left.gif
[small]Silky Terriers are small, relatively odorless dogs that shed no fur and make great indoor pets.[/small]
silky-icon-right.gif

You can easily convert the mp3 to ram..with Real Producer (free).. then create a .rm file to link to. Users will be able to listen but not download.

Google .... .ram files

Users will be able to listen but not download.
As was stated in other peoples replies, this will still only deter people - it will not stop them from being able to download the file.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

thanks for all your suggestions. this is what i am trying tell me if this is a wrong direction.... i have converted the mp3 to streaming and i am going to embed a player on the site. will that take care of it? or at least somewhat?

When all's said and done, someone could run an app that will peek at sound card data to rip the audio - for example (i haven't actually tried it, but in theory it should be fairly easy to write something like this:
So, in other words...
If you do not want the music to be saved by the visitors, then do not make it available on the net.

The way most sites that I've visited deal with this problem is by sticking a watermark in the audio that's heard every 10 secs or so..

-----------------------------------------------
"The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the entire universe."
-Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Sorry ca8msm

Im not sure what you are talking about. But it will stop them. They don't get access to the .ram file, but only access to the .rm text file which points to the .ram file. Its a common practice.

Sorry ca8msm

Im not sure what you are talking about. But it will stop them. They don't get access to the .ram file, but only access to the .rm text file which points to the .ram file. Its a common practice.
What I meant was that even though you point the user to the .rm, the music is still streamed to the client so it is possible to save the contents of the file. Your method will deter users but it won't stop someone who is determined to grab that music.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back