Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow remote users to relay via Exch 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2003
GB
I wish to set-up a second virtual SMTP server so that remote users can securely relay mail via our server. The current SMTP virtserver is set-up for the users on our local network so it cannot be modified to requiring certificates.

I know that I need to create a second SMTP virtual server however how can I set up the second one if I don't have any additional IP addresses.

Is there a way to add further IP addresses to the server without adding a second Ethernet card. Or is this the only way. Alternatively is there any other way achieve what I require without needing a second virtual SMTP server.

Regards,

Muffin Man

If you can avoid it, don't go the realy route.
Have them use IMAP, OWA or VPN instead.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks for your answer, but why do you think SMTP is a problem? I'm trying to set up an SMTP virtual server with SSL and for authenticated users only. Where's the issue?

Also using IMAP still requires an SMTP server for sending mail.

Cheers,

Muffin Man

A problem, no, a risk, yes.
The risk is in relaying.
IMAP requires SMTP for sending, not really, the server does, IMAP itself does not send. But, in that case, it is the server using the SMTP service, not an external connection.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

1. As I said IMAP does not send mail it only allows a client to access mail. The client still needs to connect to an SMTP server to send mail. So suggesting the use of IMAP is not relevant here.

2.Please qualify the risk you mention in allowing relaying. By relaying I do not mean open-relaying. I mean in the sense of allowing a machine to send mail via that server just like using an SMTP with a pop account. In my case I will be sending the password VIA SSL so this is totally secure - as secure as OWA (with SSL of course)

3. Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas about how to achieve the second virtual server, because that is the question I would like help with.

Many thanks for your help.

Muffin Man

Hi I think I have found the answer to this - whilst in my local computer store I found a book on win2003 that showed how to add additional IP addresses to a network adaptor.

This is under the advanced tab from the TCP/IP settings for that adaptor.

Muffin Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back