Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow relay from address range

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2003
CA
I setup allow relaying to a subnet. Which includes all of the computers on my LAN.

I need to allow this so that a custom app that we use can send email.

However I made the change and I still get the error message that relaying is not allowed.

Is there command to type to make the changes immediate?

Or have I done something wrong?

after further review it looks like I can not do this ... can anyone help me with another option. Here is what I want to do....

We all use outlook and exchange cleint. However we run another application that uses SMTP to send mail. User don't need to recieve mail however they do need to send it.

I configure the smtp to point to our exchange server and it allows mail only to local users... if I try to send to someone in our domain in other words it works fine.

However if the email address is not in our domain which it normally isn't it is usually a customer I get a message that relaying is not allowed.

I now this is good because I don't want to expose my server to relaying ... however I want my domain users to be able to relay..

The software does not support the option to plug in a username and password on the smtp side ....

So do I have any options here ?

thanks in advance...

If you enter the IP address of the computer that is going to be relaying the mail through your Exchange server, then it should allow it. We do that with a fax program we have. I entered the IP address of the sending SMTP server and it goes out through our Exchange just fine.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

where did you enter this address.

I clicked on relaying in the properties of the smtp connecter and then added the local lan address there ... and it still does not allow the relay..

can you tell me if that is how yours is setup

I set the IP in System Manager, SMTP Protocol, Default SMTP server - Properties - Access - Relay. To prevent an open relay you check the box Only the list below, and in the list I added the IP of the box that needed to relay through the server.

hmmm... that's exactly what I did as well....

I get 550 relaying denied...

any other ideas?

Here is what I want to do maybe it is not even possible... I want to allow my local lan users on my domain... to send smtp mail through my exchange server and the mail client does not support user name and password on outbound mail....

I thought by allowing relaying on my local IP's subnet this would take care of it...

However I must be missing something...

thanks in advance

You said before you were using Outlook as the client software, which does permit authorization on outbound email. Now you say your client doesn't? I'm confused as to exactly what it is you're doing.

If you tell Exchange that a specific IP address can relay through it, or tell Exchange to permit anyone that authorizes to the server to relay through it, then it will. If it's not, then you're parameters somewhere are not correct.

We are using outlook ... however as I stated we also have an aplication that uses smtp to send mail directly from the app.

This app does not support authentication on the outbound mail...

and yes I did add the address in the allow list

and yes it still deny's relaying

The other thing that might help resolve what is wrong is that if the destination address is one of my users ... it works fine. it must be checking the destination address for some reason..

It accepts the emails destined for your users on Exchange because that's not relaying, it's simply accepting email destined for the Exchange server.

Make 100% sure that you're entering the IP address that this custom program is coming from.

Ok I found that I have antivirus for smtp gateway product from symantec that is causing the issue. However when I allow relaying on that software.... it allows from any ip .... not sure why ...... seem to have opposite problem now... I have support contract for the symantec product so I am calling them now to see if they can help...

There ya go.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back