Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow process to take up more CPU and mem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coderifous

Programmer
Dec 13, 2001
US
On solaris, how do I change the default restrictions on how muchn resources anygiven process is allotted? I'd like to process a huge sort, and want it done ASAP. Currently the sort can only use 25% of the CPU and not that many megs of ram.

Anyone know the way to increase?

And yes - I have root access.

--jim

You can use "nice" to increase process priority over other running OS processes..

Do a "man nice" for further details.

Good luck.

YEah. nice command could change the priority of a process and allow it to use cpu/mem on a priority basis, resulting into more usage of those.

Regds,

- Hemant
NSIG,
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

I don't think changing the nice value will make any difference. If your process only takes 25% CPU and the other 75% is idle, increasing the nice won't make any difference as your process is getting all the CPU it needs. What is more likely happening is that your process is I/O bound - if you are doing a large sort it is probably accessing the disk a lot which is limiting the amount of CPU it needs.

We have 6 processor Sun Solarish Machine. It takes more time
to run same programme compare to a single processor machine.
Please tell me how can I use the multiproceesor sun solaris?

learn to program with multithreaded code ...
a thread can only use one CPU at a time ... if you have code which is only single threaded then it will only ever run on one CPU.

and be sure your process is CPU bound, some problems will block on disk access, adding multithreading will not speed them up (much) others are compute intensive and will be 6 times faster. all depends on what you are computing.

(payroll uses 6 easy, no one's check depends on anyone elses check, G/L is tougher as 60% of all write transactions hit one account in my shop (inventory) so a single disk block is my limiting factor) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back