Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow only Specified Sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tireisias

Technical User
Dec 21, 2005
IL
Hi!

I'm running Windows XP Pro with IE6, Opera 10, and Firefox 3.5. I'd like a solution for my problem which works easily with at least one of these browsers, preferably all.

I normally don't let my younger children use the World Wide Web unless they have some good reason. One of them wants permanent permission to use a list of sites which I will explicitly specify, which is reasonable. I used to know how to enter such a list very easily on the early versions of the built-in Internet Explorer content gadget, but in IE6 I can't figure out how to tell the machine to completely bypass RSACi checking and to use ONLY my hand-entered list.

Could someone please tell me how to do this in IE6, or suggest another solution which will make it easy to allow only sites from a hand-entered list FOR ONE USER?

Thanks.
T.

I don't think that I could do that in my case. I want the sites to run through the real local proxy (Proxomitron) that I have set up for the whole machine, and I can't think offhand of a way to chain an imaginary proxy server.

I realize that I could set up a second copy of Proxomitron just for her, but it sounds like too much of a pain.

Thanks.
T.

Got it! (I think.)

Instead of running Proxo from the "all users" group, I think that I'll give each Web-enabled user his/her own startup link for Proxo, so that I can give the daughter-in-question her own .ini and therefore her own bypass list without too much trouble.

Thanks, D.
T.

I don't want to sound like big brother, but why on EARTH are you using i.e.6. It's a security nightmare and well as an utter dog.

I know some corps have issues with in house stuff, but please, upgrade to at least i.e.7, even better i.e.8

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Very easy to do with Windows Vista parental controls and also with McAfee parental controls. You probably don't want to "upgrade" to Vista, but the McAfee is probably a reasonable solution.

There are options like this built into most routers as well. Not sure if you can specify users on the same computer via the router, but I know you can specify rules per computer with at least some routers. That way, no software is necessary on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back