Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow logon through terminal services

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLBI

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a remote WinServer 2003 machine and the acount i'm using keeps coming back stating "To log on to this remote computer you must have allow logon through terminal services rights..."

This account is a member of local admins and remote desktop users on the remote server, plus remote desktop users on the domain yet it still wont connect via RDP.

When i logon t the server and try to Allow TS login via Local Security Policies, the option to "Add Users/Groups" is greyed out and unavailable, even using a domain admin account.

Can anyone suggest where i'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Leigh

You're only as good as your last backup!

Leigh,

Did you come right with this?

It appears that you have everything in order so I don't see why it shouldn't work, unless of course you added the user to the relevant groups and then immediately thereafter attempted to logon prior to the group membership being replicated, in the case of a large (ish) domain...

As long as the user is a member of domain admins and the server is a member of the domain you should not be experiencing any problems.

Brent

Have you installed Terminal Server Licenses?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Guys,

The only thing i can think of is that theres a policy somewhere overriding my permissions... better get looking.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Leigh

You're only as good as your last backup!

Also look under the TS managment or config. In one of those you can configure the securty on the RDP conection or something of that nature.

I just had a problem with this a little while ago, it turned out to be that the computer I was trying to allow someone to log onto remotely was a Domain Controller, and I had to allow access to Terminal Services under the User Rights Assignment in the Domain Controller Security Policy.

Maybe this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back