Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allow local USB printer install for domain users

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecotek1

Vendor
Nov 13, 2007
US
Have many branch offices all joined to a single domain. Many of the machines have usb attached Printers. Is there a way to via group policy or from the local machine allow users to install/uninstall printers? None of the endusers have local admin privledges.

Trying to minimize calls to our helpdesk.

the desktops are mostly windows 7 and the server 08

It's a little more complicated then I originally thought... I wasn't the tech who architected this system but it's cludgy to say the least. Originally this was an SBS2003 deployment with one office and 12 workstations. This quickly grew to 6 office with 50 workstations. A virtual server was deployed with seversl server 2008r2 VM's. One of witch is being used as a redundent/replicated AD. Because of this the 2008 administrative templates dont exist. When i go to modify group policy im looking at archaic SBS Templates.

knowing that this isn't even technically supported at all. I'm hard pressed just to install 08 templates as this may brake my entire system. Not sure how the original installer even pulled this off. I thought when you do this there is a time limit. Part of me wants to scrap both AD's and build a new. Nevermind promoting the 08 server because i tried that and the sbs box started rebooting every hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back