Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

allow known mac addresses onto network

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2008
GB
i can't remember how it was done any tips or helpers on setting up the network to only allow known mac addresses onto the network?

this is what's meant to happen:

when someone plugs in a pc it does not give the usual ip but a 169.* and saying no connection with a yellow exclaimation. once we reserve the mac address on dhcp it allows the pc a valid ip address.

does anyone know how to toggle this feature on/off, i can't quite figure is this a dhcp thing or dhs feature.

cheers

Keep in mind that only keeps them from getting a DHCP address. If someone hard codes a valid IP, they're in.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

yes u are right if you create a static are you are in, what other methods would you use to stop this?

However back to the original issue, looking at the documentation, it mentioned MacFilterCallout.dll is located in windows\system32,

i couldn't find the file anywhere on the c drive. Could i be using another technology or is there a way to find what way im using?

You could use something like Cisco's NAC.

You could also adopt a practice of disabling network ports that are not in use.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back