Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow for connections to two domains on laptop 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie1noakes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
GB
OK,

Thought I could do this as NT but I seem to have made a bit of a mess!

I have a user with a laptop PC, runnings Windows 2000 Prof. My corresponding IT guy in our Headoffice set the Laptop up to connect to their domain etc.. He also set up a separate user account and password.

This PC also needs to connect to our local office domain. So I got the administrator password, and logged in. Had a few problems joining our domain, but managed to connect. Again, the users name and password is different to the headoffice one, but still the same user!

Now I thought, and obviously wrongly, that when I next logged in, I would see the log in splash, with the local PC, and the two domains available to log into.

This is not the case, and I have managed to delete the Headoffice info, and now only have the local machine, and the new, local office domain available.

Obviously, you cannot help me from getting my ass kicked, but can anyone tell me the proper way to set up a laptop to be able to connect to two separate office domains, depending on which one they are in.!

Many thanks.

I'm off now to read up on WIndows 2000!!

Andy

You can only have it in one domain. If you want the option of another domain at logon, there must be a trust between the two domains.

Hmm, That would explain it!

What would be the best solution to my problem then? Sorry to appear dumb, but short of actually coming and doing it yourself, how could I best alliviate the problem.

What I really need to be able to do, is allow access by Fred and his laptop, to Domain London and associated files, and when not in London, to Domain Chichester and its associated files. Also to pick up Email using Outlook?

Thanks a billion,

Andy

With 2000, if the machine is not a member of the domain, you can still gain access to the files. Try this. Hook the machine upto the network of the domain you are not a member of. Logon to the local machine. You should be able to go to My Network Places and browse and see the domain. Double click it and Look for the server name and double click on the server. The shares should be visable unless they are shared with $ sign behind them. If you can see the folder you want, double click it, you will be prompt for a user name and password. If you can't see the shares, type this in the explorer address bar \\servername\foldername. You will then be prompt for user name and password which he already has. You should then have access to the files.

Yes, I see.

But what about this:

Could I set up the two separate NIC settings required for each domain, using two different hardware profiles. So, when Fred was in the London office, he logged on using the London hardware profile, and when in the Chichester office, he logged on using the Chichester profile. Assign the London domain to the London HW profile, and vice versa. Then I could log on to the appropriate domain.

Also, if I could do this, I should be able to set up two separate email accounts as well, stored within the profile?

Does that sound feasible?

Andy

No that won't work. It is in the domain by the system name and the SID (Security Identifier). Once you remove the machine from the domain, it is the same for all hardware profiles.

The only way you could do that is to have a dual booting system. Then you could have the machine named different in each OS.

if the two domains are in the same tree, then you can let the admin set up the rights to both domains, then the user can logon to both domains in the logon window. or if was a parent domain and a child domain, you can set a global group. That's why you have AD, with the e-mails you can just created two email accounts in a email client and that will do the trick.

Well thanks to you all. I feel allot better now knowing that this is in actual fact, not as simple as it first seemed.

It looks like the best tool could be the netswitcher or similar.

Thanks again,

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back