Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow/Deny websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasilec

MIS
Jul 14, 2005
US
I am a programer, not too familiar with firewalls and I've just got a new assignment. Our Firewall: Firebox X1000. The WathcGuard is blocking users to go to certain web sites; the think is, that is blocking other web sites too. I have to add the IP address for these valid web sites in a 'allowed list' (HTTP-Bypass). This solution it doesn't work for us. For example, when doing the updates for Windows, they change teir IP's all the time, so we have to add on, and on, and on...I eveng got a message saying: 'A filter rule for HTTP-Bypass has reached the maximum # of entries allowed. The entries will be truncated'. Is there any way to allow an entire web site to be allowed? Like Microsoft with all their IP's...?
Thank you and I hope I will get some answers.

Whats the software version that is running on the Firebox ? Is it FireWare Pro ? If not then in order to allow Microsoft Updates follow the steps mentioned below: -

For Proxied-HTTP or HTTP proxy you will need to complete the following steps:

Click on the Properties Tab then click Settings. On this page uncheck the following:

1) Remove Client Connection Info

2) Remove Unknown Headers

3) and Remove Require Content Type

Now on the Content Type Tab and the content types/MIME types that are needed are:

1) application/octet-stream

2) application/x-javascript

3) application/x-msdownload

4) multipart/byteranges

Regarding the other issue of IPs getting blocked...can you tell me how have you configured the services, also what all logs do you get in the traffic monitor when this happens.

The Fireware Pro might have the Webblocking service running with the HTTP-Proxy service. That might explain certian sites being blocked outright.

It has the Webblocking installed and certain websites are blocked. But it is just crazy to unblock IP add like every other few days for Microsoft

I think your next step might be to setup a Microsoft WSUS server for the domain and create a new HTTP-Filter (not HTTP-Proxy) and have only the WSUS servers IP to ANY. This way weblocker and the http-proxy will leave the updates alone, and save you internet bandwidth by having only a single device pull updates internally through the filter. The WSUS will then hand out all updates across the LAN.

OUTGOING From <your wsus ip here> To Any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back