Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allow all ports for external IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

grabrail

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
GB
I have been asked by a client to allow access to an external IP address Inbound and outbound for all ports.

Can someone point me in the right direction to do this.

Thanks

Then I would do this via VPN instead. Never EVER would i open all ports on the outside of a firewall, even if you could filter on source IP. Spoofing falls into mind.

Instead go with L2TP VPN. It is quite secure, because you use certificates, thereby "you" always know with whom you are "talking" to.

And, if you're doing this with ISA 2004, you can even apply certain firewall rules on VPN Clients from your client.

Cheers
Knutern

You need to impress upon your client the need to define the port required. No application needs everything open, not even good old Microsoft NetBIOS. If the guy doesn’t know, work with him to find out what needs…

Sorry to sound a like a guide to Firewall 101, but he’ll thank you when the next network borne virus is running through the internet… well he won’t. but that’s just client’s for you

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back