Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allocation of "built-in" PRI channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshaheen

Vendor
Apr 22, 2001
US
I have an IPO R11.1 system with 2 separate PRI cards (not a dual PRI card) I have NOT purchase any additional PRI channels.

However, we are only using 1 of the 2 physical PRIs ( I set 2nd PRI to OOS)

My experience has been that each PRI card gives you 8 "free" channels.

My apparently faulty logic tells me that I should get 16 channels that I can use on the 1st PRI card ( 8 free channels from each PRI card) I set channels 17-23 to OOS on the 1st PRI.

Get a major alarm saying configured channels exceeds licensed channels.

I can just buy the extra channels, but figured I would post this before I did.

Thanks.

I believe its per card. So you get 8 channels unless you purchase additional channels.
This is because its not pooled into the total available in the license management.

The 8 free channels are provided per port but they do not pool if they are not used.

I for example have 5 PRI ports in my system but only use two of them (one 10 channel using 2 channel licenses, the other 8 channels). Just because I'm not using those 3 spare ports I can't increase the channels on those 2 used ports because I only have 2 additional channel licenses in my system.

I could however run that 1 port with 10 (as I have those extra licenses) and the other 4 ports as 8 channels each with no issues.

Thanks guys!
Shaun E, I kind of figured it worked that way after thinking about it. Its great that you verified what I suspected, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back