Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all WACK instances disappear after 10 seconds... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

christheprogrammer

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
CA
Weird... Anyone heard of this - My flash swf seemed to be running just fine until the file size went over 15MB - I am using WACK component windowing system, and inside the windows I have embedded video (which is what makes the file size so big). All the windows vanish after 10 seconds regardless of how many were created. What up? All are created in _root at 'depth' zero (whatever depth means - WACK has crappy reference docs)
I have a feeling it is nothing to do with WACK itself but some other consideration.

Here's a secondary question:
How can I make it so that the embedded video is not uploaded until some action happens (i.e. a button is pressed or a 'window' opened)?

Thanks to anyone who answers...

Life is like a box of chocolates, sweet

never had any problem with wack and found the info in the refernece panel to be ok (not great)

i suspect depth is your problem. all windows must have a different depth.

myWACK.myWindow.attachContent(idName, newName, depth [, initObject])

so maybe make depth a variable that can be incremented

that said i have no idea why they all close after 10 seconds.

for part 2 just place code similar to above inside the on release function of the button except given the file sizes id use loadContent (same as loadmovie) then the video can be kept external and only loaded as and when requested.

OK, I am very stupid - was editing the code and had a non referenced dot . operator - no warning or error from flash compiler - anyways the time limit problem is solved all windows stay open - my other question still stands - can anyone perhaps point me to a good page or something that describes in detail the loading/caching of flash so I can make my movie smaller at load time???
Cheers

Later

Thanks a lot for the reply Bill,
What did you mean by this:
"given the file sizes id use loadContent (same as loadmovie)"

I have a wack window with the contentpane containing an instance of a symbol. The symbol is the embedded video, a control for the playback of the video, and some text. Do I need to add some code to the symbol definition to load the movie? If so could you perhaps explain? Thanks again for the insight!
Chris

Later

simply meant that i would keep the video in another swf and load that swf into the window (using loadcontent) when a button or whatever was clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back