Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Video Plays in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
All video files (avi, mpg, rm, wmv etc..) play in black and white. When I pause the file, the image might change to colour but when I press play it reverts back to a black and white image. This black and white playback happens in both Win Media Player and RealPlayer on every video file I've tried. It happened out of the blue, everything was playing fine and in full colour last week.

Win ME, 256mb ram, P4, 64mb gfx card.

Any ideas

it sounds like somewhere along the way a black and white video driver got load. Try updating your codec.

Also check PAL vs NTSC settings

I tried a different player, called Zoom player. In Zplayer videos play fine and in full colour which means the problem is only restricted to Win Media Player and Realplayer.

I'll try your ideas a little later tonight, thanks. It does sound likely to be a codec issue.

I tried updating with the WIndows Media PLayer 9 codec pack and DivX 5.2.1 codec but still get the black and white playback in WMP and Rplayer. Any suggestions on exactly how to resolve this issue, and how to pinpoint and remove the offending codec, would be appreciated.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Realplayer - it still plays in black and white. Any ideas?

The problem persists, any ideas would be appreciated.

Just yesterday I had the same problem (again, completely out of the blue) with Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP (home edition). I have no idea what happened. I tried re-installing the media player to no avail. I am completely at a loss. Any further suggestions? (even though this is a Windows ME forum)... Is there any way to manually update the codecs? Thanks so much.

Ok... courtesy of a user named Linney in another forum, I have tried this to fix the problem...

1. Open your Windows Media Player
2. Go to "Tools"
3. Click on "Options" under the "Tools" tab
4. Click on the "performance" tab
5. Click on the "Advanced" button
6. Un-check "Use Overlays"

These seemed to correct the problem for me. I'm not sure if it affected performance or anything else, but I have color back once again.

Hopefully it will work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back