Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Users Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaviking

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
We're running XPFR3 on Windows 2000 and are having a problem with users deleteing icons from their desktops (those that were in All Users) that then disappear for all users. The short term fix is to remove the "delete" right for Folders and Files from the Desktop folder but now they can't remove any icons that they don't want/need. Am I wrong in thinking they should be able to do this without affecting everybody else or should we be doing something different with the various icons as there are definitely two or three distinct sets used throughout the company. Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

If a user deletes an icon off of their desktop, it only affects that user. To prevent this you may want to implement Group Policies on the domain controller.

That's what I thought but at the moment if a user deletes an icon from their desktop it is also removed from All Users. They can create and delete their own icons but we have had to temporarily (I hope) restrict users from deleting any icons. Unfortunately they now have a number of icons cluttering up their desks that they don't use.

Are you using AD or is the server a member of an NT4 domian?

I have seen this once before, can you see a desktop folder in the root of \Winnt ?

Just running it as a member of the workgroup as we don't have AD. I don't see any desktop folder in the \winnt directory.

I think you will find that what the users are getting is from the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder
This means that all users get a copy of this.

What I do is to create a folder under C:\Documents And Settings called applications and then under that creat a folder fro desktop and one for Start Menu. I then empty Default User and All Users stuff into these folders depending on what I want to do.

The eitheer copy icons into individual users C:\Documents and Settings\Start Menu or Desktop. OR
Write a kix script to populate this.

I am assuming you are using thin clients otherwise you should use published applications.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back