Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All the .exe files on my computer wont start. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssrn53

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
US
Every file on my computer with extention .exe won't start. I get the error message "Cannot find file or one of it's components" but all the files are in the right folders.

When I click on an icon in the control panel I get this message "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied."

This happened all of a sudden all these files worked fine when I first booted up windows 2000.

I think I disabled it before this happened. what can i do?

Maybe there is a solution in tread621-211428

how do i find that thread stiddy?

I am having a problem figuring out how to link you to that post, but I can point you there. It is in the Microsoft:NT Workstation forum. It was posted on 2/13 and the subject line is "Wierd EXE Problem". Hope it helps.

Have you tried logging on as the local Admin and trying to run the executable?

If it runs, there is a simple rights issue.

If it doesn't run AND gives access denied, look at Microsoft Knowledgebase Article Q250494 and Q230520

Hi!
This behaviour can be symtomatic of the PrettyPark or Happy 99 worm. If you can get on the Internet, you can download a tool to remove the virus from Symantec (Norton Anti-Virus). The address is This tool will scan for the worm, and repair the damage, if the worm is found. The worm changes the exe default behaviour, and require registry editing to fix. The tool will do this.

Best of luck,

Dave

Check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key and if you find anything like C:\Winnt\System32\Wintask.exe delete the String.

Set HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command = "%1" %*

Thanks for the tips ravemeister, but when I downloaded the happy99 and prettypark tools my computer can't open the exe of these files and they cant be started from the run prompt either.

And abdullauthan, in order to get to the hkey local machine I have to go into the systems in the control panel and that wont start either, in fact many of the control panel icons dont work.

hey would this work, backing up my files formating the drive reinstalling windows 2k and then restore the files. I mean can a virus attach itself to the files?

To get into the registry, all you have to do is go to start>run type in regedit. The only problem is, you have to execute the exe file to get the editor to run.
It still sounds like a permissions thing.
Try logging off your user account and log in under the Administrator account and see if you can run executable files. If you can, go into control panel and add the admin rights to your account, or add rights that would give you execution rights.
>:):O>

Sounds like you got a virus to me. There are many Trojans that assiciate themselves with .exe files actually.

You need those fixes to work, and you also need registry access. Here's a way to get around that:

rename regedit.exe to regedit.com

That will allow you to run it. Once in the registry you need to check your .exe file association. Thats stored in this path: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command as an unnamed value of type REG_SZ with a string of "%1" %*

If there is anything else in there associated with it - get rid of the offending entry. Also, check your RUN keys to make sure no virii are starting up with your system as Abdullauthan suggests. Look for Sirc32.exe, Msrexe.exe and the like.

Dont forget the service run key as well - its often overlooked. The paths are:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Check both places for sneaky entries. Once done - try to load those virus fixes. You can also try renaming the fix to a .com extension first as well.

Hope this helps.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Sorry ssrn53. I forgot to mention that you have to rename regedit.exe to regedit.com from C:\Winnt folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back