Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALL SEEMS OK 100% But no sound in XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehboobm

Technical User
Sep 21, 2003
US
Hello Everyone -
I have a weird sound problem in Windows XP. And a masive struggle of 2 weeks, I still could not fix it.

I have P4-256-40GB- running XP pro. MOBO M921L - On-board LAN-Modem-Audio AC97 (VIA-chip).
About 2 weeks ago I installed a Gforce FX Video card 8X, But returned it cuz My system board was not supporting it. (The Manual said it support but actually it did not.... Well, that is not the main question).

The problem (Question is) It is not playing any kind of sound. I have performed several kind of things but still sound not working. When I open sound recorder, it says "Another application is playing audio. Close that and retry .. etc"
I noticed that my PC-performances dramatically improved. It is more faster to open/close programs, accessing resources, coping files etc etc.
BUT PROBLEM IS -- NO SOUND --

Here what I have done so far:
Updated BIOS
On-Board audio is enable
installed new and updated drivers.
Even in Device Manager, there is not reporting any ! or ? but still there is no any audio-device available in sound properties.
Speaker and connection is OK 100%
I updated Norton several times and scan my whole system several times. No any virus.

I have seen several FORUMS and found Tek-tips one of the best one. I am confident that this time my problem will be solved. I am desperately waiting and appreciate in advance for any tip etc.

Hi,

Do you get the AC 97 audio system listed in device manager?
Does the volume control appear in the system tray? If it does I would check that the volume is not set to mute.

Also, with modern motherboards and surround sound speakers, I would check that it is configured for the correct speaker configuration, and that the cables are correctly connected (I once plugged a set of stereo speakers into the rear out jack of a 4 spkr card, configured for stereo output and it took a while to work out why it didn't work).

John

Hi John - thank you for your input.
YES - I have the Audio listed in Device Manager as "VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)". It automatically detected the sound card, installed the software and said that new harware were found and installed and ready to use etc etc.

But there is no volume control in task bar. Even, Device Manager is OK 100%. But there is no Audio device listed in Audio Properties (under Control Panel-Sound and Audio Devices) , Its all greyed out. Thats why I can not enable the speaker icon to see in the taskbar and also can not configure the right speakers. (cuz audio device is greyed out).

Hi there, haven't had this prob myself yet, but I would suggest to reinstall the CHIPSET drivers again and see if that helps any...

Ben

Hi Ben - I have even foramted my HardDrive. And also reinstalled drivers several times. But no luck.

It is not reporting any error but Is that something to do with Registry problem??

Can Anyone give em input.

After the reinstall of the chipset drivers, go and reinstall/install the AC97 drivers/codecs again and after that DX9.0b...

Question - is the mobo an AC97 sound only or does it have a SoundChip (like CT5880 or such) installed on it aswell? if it has a soundchip on it DO NOT install the AC97 drivers but the SoundChip drivers (CT5880 needs the Creative SB PCI128 drivers to work)...

Ben

Thankx BadBigBen..

I will try and will let you know. Its Logical and Hopefully should work.

I Have the same problem and it seemed to have happened after a windows update.

Has anyone been able to resolve this?

Cheers

Mez

Hi Ben

I gone through your instructions. I have VIA chip for sound and installed only VIA drivers and unfortunately did not work.

Is that something to do with Registry?

Hi there again, run DxDIAG it will check your sound system for you...

it sounds almost like the MSMIXER isn't installed or not functioning proberly... or it is set to mute...

go to the system progs (sorry don't remember what it is called in english I use a German version of W2k) and check your "Sounds and Multimedia" tag the AUDIO and check that the AC97 is your preffered sound device... and set it accordingly...

I hope this will help...

BEN

Thanks for your reply....I ran DxDIAG and tested my sound
this is the error that came up:

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

What do I need to do know?

Cheers
Mezza

Suggestions: The first edit has fixed 'odd' symptoms other than the ding.wav...

Fix the Ding.wav File (Line 6)

Restore System Default Sounds (Line 6)

Other checkpoints:

TweakUI/General/Beep on errors (verify that the box is checked). If you have installed Neromix 1.3.039, here is the fix:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

In the right pane you should see: (Default) REG_SZ (Value not set).
After installing Neromix 1.3.039 the Value data changes to nothing (NoName)or (Default) REG_SZ and nothing under Data.

But if you right click and choose "Modify Binary Data" you will see there is a value. Simply right click the string and delete it. From there Windows will create the (Default) string which restores your sound.

To jump in with my own 2 cents:

I once updated the drivers on my on-board sound chip and it stopped working after a Windows update. After trying and trying, I randomly tried the roll back option for the drivers for the sound card and it started working like a charm.

Might help...

Uninstall AC97
If you have a registry cleaner run it and delete all references to sound.
Power down Machine.
Remove power cable.
Try shorting the BIOS jumper on the motherboard.
Do it with the power OFF or you will damage the board itself.

Leave the jumper off for 30 to 45 seconds (or longer) and refix it.

This will force the BIOS to reconfigure at next power up.

If you have reformatted the drive etc. the problem may be in the BIOS memory.

Anyway worth a try. Remember to set the AC97 ON in the BIOS after re start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back