Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all records with dates less than? how to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyv

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
CA
I am trying to pull all records with dates less than a given date here is the sql I have created

strSQL = &quot;INSERT INTO ReportTableTemp SELECT * FROM [Billinginfo Query] Where [JobId] = &quot; & JobId & &quot; And [JobDate] < &quot; & MaxDateReport & &quot;&quot;

which generates the following statement

INSERT INTO ReportTableTemp SELECT * FROM [Billinginfo Query] Where [JobId] = 18 And [JobDate] < 11/19/2002

I have records in the table Billinginfo Query with dates less than 11/19/2002 and these dates are stored in the same format as '11/19/2002'

but the statement does not work, in other words it does not 'pull' any records out of the table

why

thanks

Depending on your field types and your database server you will need to add single quotes around your variables

[JobDate] < '&quot; & MaxDateReport & &quot;'&quot; If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.
[machinegun][hammer]

[cheers]

Yep that's correct, but in dealing with Date I prefer adding &quot;#&quot; around the variables

[JobDate] < #&quot; & MaxDateReport & &quot;#&quot;

One question if I could
I now have the less than a certain date working but when I change the requirement to <= a certain date it only returns the dates less than a certain date
here is my sql statement

strSQL = &quot;INSERT INTO ReportTableTemp SELECT * FROM [Billinginfo Query] Where [JobId] = &quot; & JobId & &quot; And [JobDate] <= #&quot; & MaxDateReport & &quot;#&quot;

Your MaxDateRepor variable, I think, correct me if I'm wrong is formatted into an &quot;MM/DD/YYYY&quot; date format, so the value would be eg. 11/19/2002, right? But the underlying value of your [JobDate] field would be probably formatted into a &quot;MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss AMPM&quot; so the value would be 11/19/2002 12:12:12 AM. That's different, tha's why you're always getting the results which are < (less than) and not <= (less than or equal to), right? You can check your database if it is formatted in &quot;MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss AMPM&quot;, if that's the case, for me, I would do this approach:

1st approach, in saving a record make sure that you format the value of your date into a &quot;MM/DD/YYYY&quot; date format before adding or updating it in the database. You can use Format function, I hope you know hot to use it.

2nd approach is try to change the format of your MaxDateRepor variable, change it into what ever the date format of your [JobDate] field.

I would prefer the 1st approach, unless you're very specific in date and you want to include the time in you criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back