Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'All Programs empty on Start menu'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanJ

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
GB
I have recently recieved a number of pre built win XP pro machines and placed then on the network. I have noticed that two of them have had the admin shares removed and the all programs menu is empty even though they are visable in explorer.
A system restore on one of the xp machines as restored the program files and shares. Obviously I'm not ruling out foul play due to the added entries in the registry to remove the admin shares(full auditing in place).
My qeustion is how can I get the all progams menu back without carrying out a system restore? This affects all users who log on.
Thanks
Sean

When you say the Administrative shares were removed from the registry, were they removed by:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \LanmanServer \Parameters]
AutoShareWks=0

-or-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoDrives

Using either #2 or #3 could well prevent the enumeration of All Programs.

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 32-bit bitmask

-or-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoViewOnDrive
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 32-bit bitmask

THE ADMIN SHARES WERE REMOVED BY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \LanmanServer \Parameters]
AutoShareWks=0

I removed these keys and rebooted the admin shares came back but the all programs are still empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back